Subject Author Posted Replies

'Sealed' CH systems?
One of my daughters has recently bought a house which I suspect has a 'sealed' CH system. (I say suspect as, while I've briefly looked at it, I didn't examine the CH system in detail but there was a...
10
10

Fixing into breeze block/cinder bock wall
I've been tasked by my other half to try to repair a handrail up the stairs at my mother-in-laws. The house is early 60s, ex-council, and some(?) internal walls are breeze block. This includes where...
6
6

Splitting Pills
Anyone else have issues doing this successfully? I can *never* seem to get the damn things right down the middle and the score-lines the manufacturers put on are no help at all. The particular pills...
40
40

Lift - Communication in emergency
Our local Supermarket has a lift from the basememt car-park up to Ground Level Stuck on the wall of the lift is a paper sign giving a Phone number to call in case of an emergency. This implies to me...
5
5

Good ideas overseas
Sometimes one sees ideas when on holiday and it makes you wonder why the idea is not more commonplace. An obvious one to me has been count-down displays on Traffic Lights (and/or the Pedestrian Light)...
58
58

Lining an outbuilding
As work on the house tapers off, I'm considering improving my barn/workshop by lining it. At present, it's a steel frame with 2x4 timbers bolted to them and featherboard nailed to the outside. It...
8
8

Electric cable and pipe detector
I'm looking for recommendations for a cable and pipe detector in walls etc. At present I have a cheap B&D one, which never seems to give satisfactory results. No disasters with it yet, but I'm never...
9
9

Hammerhead wedges
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years,...
18
18

Basic plumbing - compression joints.
Ripping out an old bathroom, and need to fit a compression stop end to a hot feed, something I have never done before, plumbing not being my 'thing'. So far, have cleaned the pipe of old paint where...
34
34

OT: Money worries
The resident retard spouts again. Doesn't understand the difference between a holiday and business.
89
89

Unattended Bonfires
You've only got yourself to blame if you locate next to a group of allotments. There are some freehold allotments adjoining our terrace ( I own one of them). One of my absentee neighbours (she lives...
16
16

Biscuit jointer vs dowling jig
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm). My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for something I will use very sparingly. I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might...
17
17

Whoops
Just emailed the MD of a company a photo of me knobbing the gf instead of a photo of the fault on the lights in his office that I just fixed.
22
22

Impressive cordless drill
nice :) NT
5
5

BBC Summerwatch DIY for £35 outdoor wifi camera.
This camera was mentioned on BBC Summerwatch this week. I can't find the details of how to make one. Anybody know where the details are provided?
15
15