Subject Author Posted Replies

Gas boiler not lighting - Gas valve?
Our gas boiler has decided of course that this is the week to breakdown It's an Ideal Mexico Super CF4120, this is a floor standing open flued boiler, it's a pretty basic boiler with nothing in the...
22
22

You are a (different) 4th year apprentice
and have applied and got a job with a different firm. In your excitement you write a text to your girlfriend telling her and add a bit extra slagging off your current boss. Due to alcohol or drugs you...
19
19

Metal/fireproof support spacing for 18th edition
Looking at what documentation I can find it *seems* as if *all* cable supports for exposed wiring have to conform to the same spacing requirements as pre-18th cable supports did. Applying this to...

OT: The Outernet
Anyone heard about the Outernet (geddit?) I'm not joking or messing. There was a guy on the news saying it's the High Street response to internet shopping. I'm not sure i see how that would be any...
5
5

D-I-Ying postal deliveries?
Currently, with First Class mail taking several days, there is no incentive to pay the extra premium over Second Class, so the impending increase in cost for First Class Stamps means that the Post...
18
18

Firefox annoyance
Undoubtedly my fault but, in response to urging from Adobe, I uninstalled Flash. First downside noticed is a PHP notice from Firefox about a site I use regularly (Movies airing on TV today..) Works OK...
17
17

Recommendation for a Roomstat
I currently have a Myson MRT1 thermostat to control the kickspace heater in the kitchen, unfortunately it sits about 45mm+ off the wall and is causing problems opening a fridge nearby. Owing to a lack...
9
9

Why did the Yale researchers call for Zero Population Growth?
Why did the Yale researchers call for Zero Population Growth in 1970? If we had followed their suggestion, the total air passenger miles wouldn't have increased tenfold, which allowed the Covid virus...
9
9

Mini trunking capacity
Can anyone point me at a simple set of "what cables fit in what trunking" table anywhere? I'd have thought it was a pretty fundamental piece of information but I can't find anything very useful...
3
3

Cable support requirements in 18th edition
In the DIY FAQ it says:- There are new requirements for all wiring support to not fail as a result of fire (i.e. this no longer just in escape routes). So cables supported in plastic trunking or in...
9
9

OT - a Christmas present for the difficult-to-buy-for
Who'd ever expect one of these? <>I especially like the "left unpainted for funeral use" (or possibly for use as a warning marker when you're changing the rear offside wheel by standing in the...
4
4

Mains CO alarm EI261ENRC - replacement sensor
After discussing CO and alarms I was prompted to check our mains CO alarm EI261ENRC. Label says "Replace unit by August 2023" so that looks OK. Hang on, there is another label which says "Replace...
3
3

Quality guy...tee hee
Trip to Scarborough with my auld Ma in 1974 the year I got my Ham Licence..Oh to be 21 again ..... on second thoughts stuff that.....also trip to an English rally in 1976 with my Allegro with liner 2...
3
3

OT - Well a bit OT but heating system related.
As a personal development exercise I have been trying to teach myself how the Raspberry pi works. I have created a temperature logging system using several DS18B20 temperature probes as in the...
12
12

Angle of washing-machine inlet hose?
A washer-dryer manual says the inlet hose should be screwed on so that it points down at about 45° from vertical (either way) but not vertical or horizontal. I'm just curious --- why does that...
17
17