OT: Dell displays

Anyone familiar with the Dell P2421DC? I'm trying to get the USB ports (four of them) to work. The manual says to connect a USB-C cable between the display and a similar port on the computer. It's unclear from the doc whether that means in addition to (say) an HDMI cable to drive the display (so, USB-C cable just services the USB ports), or instead of (so, the USB-C cable drives the display *and* handles the USB ports).

Neither arrangement works for the ports, but either cable by itself drives the display OK.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not that model, but from a quick shufti of the manual, I'd expect the 4x USB2 ports to work, once you have a USB connection to the PC, you are using a USBC->USBC cable?

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1. I'd expect a single USB-C cable to carry USB2 and then Displayport on the super speed pairs.

Are you sure you're using a USB-C cable that supports super speed? Some of the cheap ones are only USB2 for example. If the cable supports 5/10/20 Gbps then that should do it.

If you're getting video it suggests the cable is good for super speed, which makes it puzzling why USB 2 isn't working.

You could probably also try an HDMI/DP cable and then you just need a USB-C cable with USB2 support for the USB ports.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yep, that's what the doc says to do, so that's what I does. It's a new M1 Mini I'm connecting to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

"Cough" (4,3)

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The USB-C cable I was trying with is the one that came with the display. I did try both cables at once but Big Sur didn't like that at all.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have a Dell P2314T, USB cable to PC with display and audio via HDMI. The 2 USB sockets works fine, Audio to display via HDMI and then out through the displays phonos works but was a bit of a pain to setup.

Reply to
Robert

Can the M1 Mini support both the display and downstream USB ports from its USBC port?

Reply to
Michael Chare

This is prolly the crux of the matter. Perhaps I need both cables (USB-C and HDMI) but then tell the display to choose HDMI first.

The display does not have a socket for one of the old square USB-B type plugs.

By contrast my Dell U2518D does have a USB-B socket and its 4 USB ports work fine. That display connects to my intel Mini with USBC at the Mini end, HDMI at the display.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If what you have used is a Thunderbolt cable you could try a vanilla USB-C 3.1 if you have or can borrow one.

Reply to
Robin

I tried that with my iIyama monitor connected to my HD FOX T2 stb connected via hdmi but the audio out of the back of the monitor was awful, so I connect the stb to a Class D Amptastic mini amp via phono's and use a pair of old Phillips computer speakers.

Reply to
Andrew