White towel rail paint/enamel crazing

The bathroom towel rail, which is white (not chrome) and nearly 10 years old has the paint crazing on some of the rails. These are the ones used for drying face cloths.

This is not what I would expect from a towel rail, but I am checking to see if this is common or a one off (as far as anyone knows).

I don't know the make (and the records are buried somewhere safe by now).

I suppose that the decision now is whether to replace it, and if so to go with chrome.

The downstairs towel rain is chrome and is fine, but has seen less use.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

be aware that the thermal emissivity of white is higher than that of chrome, which means that the Chrome radiator is not as effective as heating up the room as a white radiator So you will need to increase the size of the chrome radiator to get the same heating effect as the original white radiator.

Reply to
SH

Mine is 30 years old and as good as the day it was installed. It's certainly not a "premium" one. If you keep towels over most of it, the lower emissivity of chrome would not matter much.

Reply to
newshound

There does seem to be an issue with enamel though Most of those electric oil filled heaters are enamelled and after some years it starts to craze and eventually drop off in lumps. I always thought it was both due to the wet clothes you drape on them and the difference in the expansion of the metal and the paint. I did buy some radiator paint, but that only lasted a couple of years. One would have thought that if your towel rail was meant to have potentially wet things on it, the design would be such that it would take it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

both my white towel rails are losing their white finish from corrosion underneath from the look of it. That's 15 years on from installation and they look rubbish.

TW

Reply to
TimW

[both plumbed in radiator type towel rails]
Reply to
TimW

My chrome towel rail has been there since before we moved into the house - and that was in 1977! Judging by the steel radiators I've had to replace, the towel rail is definately getting on in years.

Reply to
charles

I'd not go with chrome if you want a long life.

TLC do some very nice polished stainless steel - I've got one well over 10 years old and still looks like new.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Personally never had an issue with chromed rails. 30 years on looking fine?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The devil is in the detail with chrome. Not looked at prices but I guess stainless might be competitive now.

Reply to
newshound

Just to add that we had a weekend away in self catering accommodation and the white towel rail there had exactly the same problem (only worse).

So it seems a fairly common problem.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to