Subject Author Posted Replies

Pressure reduction valve
A few months back, the pressure of our water supply exceeded 6 bar while they were doing some work on the 24 inch main in the road. The water heater in the attic bathroom has a 6 bar relief valve and...
4
4

Wooden Rawlplugs
tried these? They're three times the price of the red plastic ones! Order online at Screwfix.com. 70% wood content. Eco friendly, universal and reliable. Suitable for all substrates and applications,...
40
40

Graphics card upsetting wireless mouse?
I've an SFF desktop (HP 8200) and i've a USB wireless mouse (unbranded) that occasionally becomes unresponsive and requires the unplugging and replugging of the dongle. I decided to give the PC a...
24
24

Accounting software
Vaguely on topic..... If you use accounting software what are you using and are you happy with it? I'm currently using Xero because that's what our accountant recommended. I don't get on very well...
18
18

immersion heater timers
Long time ago we had an immersion heater switch which when the water had come up to temperature and the thermostat cut out the heater switched itself off completely. Anyone know where I might buy...
41
41

Mobile phone repair
My darling wife dropped her phone into water - it's far from waterproof. She stuck it in the airing cupboard to dry, but it won't start up. I've taken it to pieces, and dusted off any obvious salts....
35
35

uPVC window broken opening mechanism
uPVC window - can't open it. Removed the handle, to find that there is a square spindle - just like a door handle - that drives a metal part with a square hole that is visible inside the window....
7
7

Dishwasher draining problem
I've an old (c.15 years) Siemens dishwasher that doesn't seem to be draining properly at the end of a cycle. The dishes seem clean, but there's an odd 'wet dog' smell that lingers for quite a while...
3
3

OT: Wimpy watersports
What's the obsession with keeping warm when surfing or other watersports? A bit of shivering won't hurt you. If you're cacooned in a wimpsuit, you're not really in the water and aren't enjoying nature...
17
17

Adjustable wrench seized
Tried HCl, ATF, heat (200C oven), hitting it with a hammer. Jaw is now loose but the thumb wheel is as stuck as ever. What else would be good to try?
16
16

Electric car prices
Why is it so difficult to find electric car prices? I've googled my fingers sore in vain. I can only assume that they are terribly expensive.
15
15

External render bead
Any experience please - good or bad - with plastic external render bead (link below)? It'd save me the hassle of finding somewhere with stainless in stock. A complicating factor is that I need some of...
2
2

Chimney aerial corner plates position
Is the chimney aerial corner plates position better across courses/bricks are fully on each brick? I'm fitting as per latter unless I get an alternative answer before I've put everything away! Bill's...
11
11

Second-hand plastic storage trays
Hello all. I'm looking for any possible sources of second-hand plastic storage trays, sold these days as "Euro containers" - preferably the 21-23 litre sizes, which are around 600 x 400 x 120 mm....
4
4

Backups
We've a windows computer at work (8 I think if that's pertinent), there's a program on it and a database we could do with backing up regularly. There used to be a button in the program which you...
37
37