Subject Author Posted Replies

Industrial Battereis
I tend to buy industrial batteries (AA & AAA) because they are a fair bit cheaper than consumer batteries. I am beginning to think they don't last as long, any views?
22
22

EDF Beat the Peak anyone?
Has anyone managed to sign up for EDF's Beat the Peak or equivalent schemes of other energy companies? These give you a refund if you manage to reduce your power usage during a period of peak...
12
12

Air Source Heat Pumps: Grant and Costs
Looking into an ASHP while the £7500 grant is on the table - it seems to be pretty universal with very few eligibility requirements. But the costs seem weird. I've got a few estimates coming, but...
24
24

Electrolysis?
I think someone didn't read the press pack... "An electric arc furnace uses electrolysis to melt scrap metal" <> British Steel's plans for an electric arc furnace on Teesside raise hopes steel- making...
12
12

Boiler PRV outflow pipe
I may have mentioned this before but our CH boiler is situated in the bathroom airing cupboard on an internal wall with the flue coming out the top and through the roof. Currently the Pressure Relief...
5
5

Repair an executive leather covered office chair
This was purchased from Costco over five years ago and I was very happy with it. Until the leather started pealing from the arms revealing a fabric substrate. Spotting a persuasive advert for stick on...
4
4

OVO plan offers
I have just received an offer from OVO to fix my electricity rate for a fixed term, of 1 or 2 years. They estimate my monthly cost for each of these plans, with £1 per month difference (the 2-year...
66
66

Hand held IR thermometer - useful for quick check instead of IR camera?
If you want to check the side of the house for areas of heat loss you use a special camera. How effective would spot readings with a hand held IR thermometer be for a quick and dirty check before...
3
3

Cutting tile with hacksaw
I need to cut one 3 inch square tile in a straight line. I don't have a proper tool as usual but I do have small and large hacksaws. I thought of scoring the tile (shiny side?) and snapping it. Any...
9
9

Latest glitch
To transfer digital photos from the camera memory to the PC I am used to plugging the memory card in an adapter in to a convenient usb port. Post recent *roll up* of W7pro from MS this has stopped...
10
10

Plume from heating boiler
The flue from my neighbour's boiler vents a large plume, while mine is always much smaller. All other things being equal, does this suggest my boiler is not condensing as mch as the neighbour's and...
47
47

Garmin City Navigator Europe
Looking inside W10 to remove old/unwanted files, programs etc. I have found <>Garmin City Navigator Europe. NTU_2024_10 7.15 GB 10/05/2023 NTU 2020.20 5.52 GB 01/11/2019 NTU 2019.30 5.36 GB 31/01/2019...
3
3

Attic Room: stud wall insulation
Does anyone know the regulatory requirement for insulating the stud partition walls of an attic room? I'd sorta assume the same for roof spaces - 300mm rockwool equivalent? But rockwool would be...
18
18

Weird SmartLife app behaviour
Have this app to control our MoesHome? smart thermostat. So does SWMBO. Both Android. My version of the app steadfastly refuses to display the temperature that the device is showing. Despite being...

Festive Essentials?
Wondering why a soft-close toilet seat is considered a 'festive essential' by Screwfix. Trying to decide whether a Screwfix or an Aldi Christmas Jumper is more ironically naff. Owain
19
19