Subject Author Posted Replies

Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ?
I'm considering buying a corded impact driver, So I can fix battens into walls with selftapping bolts, and screw wood beams togethe, etc. Makita TD0101F ? there a better or cheaper alternative? [g]...
9 years ago 7

OT: can I quick format (to ntfs) a previous ext3 drive?
As subject. TIA. Quick format doesn't alter the filesystem. Surely formatting a hdd is quicker than posting a question & awaiting reply. What's the actual problem? NT Surely formatting a hdd is...
9 years ago 26

A bit OT: Water supply responsibility
My neighbour has a smallholding of a few fields. The mains water supply crosses those fields. A secondary pipe is teed off this supply, then divides and one leg goes to their house, the other leg goes...
9 years ago 11

replacing just a few bath/shower tiles?
Hi all I think a few of the tiles around our bath/shower have had the plaster underneath 'blown'. The tiles look slightly discoloured, and sound a little hollow when tapped, compared to other tiles...
9 years ago 5

Who wrote this pile of tripe?
do you begin? (the title I suppose!) Ouch! It really is hard to find any statement in there that _isn't_ wrong. I guess "earth bonding" can be needed sometimes, but the only instance I can think of...
9 years ago 24

Wall arch edging strip?
Just had polytexed walls skimmed, plan 'A' was to paint the newly plastered wall which has an arch into the lounge extension (archway wall is 12" wide - original outside wall) Although the newly...
9 years ago 4

Sick washing machine
My De Dietrich washing machine (model DVF300JU1) has stopped working. Two days ago when my wife opened it, the dishes were clean, but (dirty) water remained at the bottom of the machine. When I ran...
9 years ago 7

Inconvenient boiler vent
Our boiler vents at an inconvenient position. I spotted snorkel like plastic pipe attached to one in town yesterday but cant find any links to such a devise, perhaps I am using the wrong search...
9 years ago 9

Cable Route Issue
Hi all Currently trying to re-route cables/reposition fixings/add isolators to satsify BCO inspector re: kitchen first fix! So I now have a dual box for kick space heater/fridge-freezer spurs and a...
9 years ago 2

Gas regs Q
Had a new gas oven fitted in Jan. In order to accommodate it, we had a recommended (by the MiL) gas fitter put a bayonet fitting on the existing pipework which feeds the hob. He then fitted the new...
9 years ago 10

Wireless mics and small PA for speaker meetings
Our local Skeptics in the Pub[1] has started putting on meetings with speakers (the human variety) in a bar. We could do with a bit of amplification so people at the back of the room (where there's...
9 years ago 50

Flomaster Triton Expansion Vessel replacement
I've got a Flomaster Triton unvented cylinder and it appears that the membrane in the expansion vessel has ruptured as water comes out of the pressure valve on top if I press the central pin. I've...
9 years ago 2

Tom tom
Have an early one, and the battery doesn't last for long. Before I even bother trying to get inside it, can they be replaced? Dunno - but is it really a problem? Presumably you run it off the car's...
9 years ago 11

Single phase socket from 3 phase outlet query
I've a 3 phase switched outlet on a 32A triple mcb that is no longer being used and I require a single phase 13A standard socket in its place. I could strip out the whole lot and put in a smaller mcb,...
9 years ago 10

A 24/7 home server on minimal electricity
Small heads up on an ongoing HP promotion that ends end of this month (or will it?). It has a 1.3GHz dual core processor (AMD Athlon II Model NEO N36L (2 core, 1.30 GHz, 1MB L2, 15W), 1GB DDR3 memory,...
9 years ago 31