Anyone using bulk chemicals in the garden, or house?

I used to buy boxed 4-in-1 lawn feed for about a tenner a go. I don't have many weeds, so it was mainly for killing moss. Then I discovered you can get a lifetime's (or at least a good few years') supply of ferrous sulphate for a few quid, and kill the moss very effectively with that.
Being slightly excited with this discovery, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any other chemicals that can be used around the garden/house, to replace other commercial products? I got some soda crystals to clean the washing machine with, and they seen to do a pretty good job of cleaning clothes, too.

get

or

If you go to a farmers market/supplier, you can get all sorts of stuff in bulk from fertilizers to (selective) weed killers. A lot of tools and other equipment can be got there cheaply too.
In message

I have about half left of a 600kg bag of 20:10:10 NPK fertiliser. Some of which may end up on my lawn.
--
Tim Lamb

On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:48:18 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:

have

an get

e for

yone

he

I have in the past bought in bulk from farm suppliers but found I ended up with a lot of waste. Lots of the powders don't keep very well. Then as well the half bags get lost in the back of the shed :-(

Yes. Very educational: farming. You learn about hygroscopic and deliquescent chemicals. Prilled fertiliser is OK if you keep the moisture away but the blends settle to concrete. One trick is to drop the bag onto a concrete floor or perhaps a railway sleeper:-)
--
Tim Lamb

Copper sulphate (bluestone) in solution is used as a fungicide for timber treatment, while borax makes an effective insect killer/deterrent for the same end. Not resistant to being leached out though, so not for outdoor timber. I've treated all my workshop internal timber with this mix. I'll use old engine oil and kersone/diesel for the outdoor stuff.
Borax, along with your washing soda and grated laundry soap can make a very effective and cheap washing gel for use in your washing machine. It has no whiteners or bleaches in it, so some don't like it for that.

Thanks, I'll try it. I already use some of my engine oil on the fence posts. Not a lot - just a bit around the base of the posts, and at the ends of each piece of wood. I also stick it on some exposed metal bits of the car that look like they're going rusty. I'm obviously not going to paint it over the whole underside, though, because it smells awfully, and it doesn't look it needs it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions. I see that there are some suggestions out there for making lawn feed out of beer and ammonia. I'm loath to pour perfectly good beer on my lawn, but the ammonia (diluted) thing sounds like it may be worth a try.
On 29/05/2013 12:31, Dis Manibus wrote:

Depends whether you want to kill your lawn or not. Diluted sufficiently I suppose it will do no harm and no good. Nitrogen needs to be applied as a neutral ammonium salt or urea if you want it to benefit plants.
Too much in one place is bad as dog pee marks will clearly demonstrate.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Drink it first :-)
--
Frank

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 12:31:44 PM UTC+1, Dis Manibus wrote:

pee works as well

So, it sounds like ammonia is out, but used beer is okay?
On 29/05/2013 13:18, Dis Manibus wrote:

Only after it has been passed by the management.
Fresh beer would be horribly sticky when it dries.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:24:57 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

Sprinkle it with whiskey. It'll grow half cut.