Subject Author Posted Replies

Is there a lower safety standard for Xmas tree lights?
I thought this type of mains operated series chain was no longer legal, but clearly I was wrong. Bought this today. don't think you could sell (say) a table lamp with a mains lead like that, even if...
2
2

Electrical survey required for house sale?
Apologies if this is something I should be able to find easily with google, access blocked from work but I can get to usenet from my phone! Just had concerned phone call from my MiL. We're in the...
31
31

Tiling onto platerboard - primer?
I don't normally bother using primer and would just fix the tiles to the dry plasterboard but i'm going all the way to the ceiling with 400x250mm tiles. Will there be any benefit to priming first? I'm...
7
7

Frame fixings for skirtings?
I've not used frame fixings, but I beleive the idea is that you can push the frame up against the wall and then hammer a combined plug and screw in and do it up. Is that correct? Do they have...
4
4

gas cannisters (the small ones used with blow torches)
Hi, Here's an odd question: I went to the scrap yard and I saw a skip full of small gas canisters, the type used with plumbers' blow torches. The price for steel is not much and as these are very...
2
2

Is it common for copper pipe to be too soft for compression fittings?
I recently bought some 10mm copper tube from COP10/10/BARE 1 15.67 Coil Plain Copper Tube 10mm x 10m However I'm finding it *very* difficult to make good compression fitted joints with it. I've not...
21
21

Maxin Vokera 24e
Morning all EDIT This problem has been resolved. Could anyone help a complete novice out with a problem he's having with the above boiler? Bled the radiator in the bedroom and now the pressure gauge...
3
3

FAO Mr Pounder
'll be there for the next 3 days. And London is calling - that is where the work is.
14
14

Vaillant combi boiler
My Vaillant Ecomax 824/2e combi boiler keeps loosing pressure then keeps getting high pressure, I am either topping up or releasing air with the pressure valve, however after watching a couple of...
21
21

Changing a lamp safely
I was going to change a blown lightbulb in my living room, but after reading the instructions on the fitting it says I must be a qualified electrician. Must I call in an electrician? It's quite dark...
112
112

O.T. I was hit by a car and squashed against another car.
I was waiting to cross the road and stood on the road between two parked cars, one was just to my right, one was about 5 metres to my left. Car on left started to creep forwards then suddenly shot...
18
18

Flexible hose for heating oil supply?
I have to move my mothers CH fuel tank very slightly, probably not more than 600mm. At present this is plumbed with 15mm copper. Compression fittings used for the above ground pipework. The tank is...
7
7

Wood filler
Following the thread on mdf window boards vulnerability to water, I wonder if there is an explanation for the *bumps* in mine. The securing screw head recesses were filled with polycell polyfilla and...
7
7

Emulsion Paint going black !
Bought two cans of Crown Emulsion paint in April 2011 (18 months ago) to paint our kitchen. It was lime green. One thing led to another, and I've only just round to using them. (Don't ask!) I opened...
17
17

Honeywell / Satronic control box DKO 970 for Wallstar 15/20
This is the oil burner safety control (model DKO 970) on my Wallstar 15/20 boiler, which once again is playing up. I downloaded the 6-page manual for the DKO 970 and studied the flash codes. In the...
5
5