Subject Author Posted Replies

Help! sink Drain plug
I have a toilet sink with one of those push drain plugs, push to close (then push again, it pops up to drain) It has locked in the closed position and wont pop back up. Trying to access from drain...
9 years ago 5

Screwfix Vs Toolstation
It seems to me that Screwfix have really lost the plot on pricing. Not only is there post free threshold 5 time that of Toolstation but today I needed a few more galvanised wire nails to complete a...
9 years ago 20

Removing asbestos guttering
Just found that one section of the guttering I'm removing looks as if it's asbestos. Do I have to get some authorised fok to remove/dispose of this? thanks - beware could be heavy to remove without...
9 years ago 6

sockets mounted in base units
OK, sockets mounted in kitchen base units is an accepted technique it seems. Which of the following is workable / the best: 1. Actually mounted on the wall behind with a cut-out in the back panel (may...
9 years ago 23

Confused... Cellotex under or ontop of concrete slab.
Hi, I have a builder doing some work for me at the mo, a small single story porch/washroom. It's subject to planning and building regs and I believe the inspector has been visiting... Now a couple of...
9 years ago 3

tv aerial
Hi, Basically I was wondering is there a way to split a normal digital tv signal going from the front room to a bedroom ? If you can what is needed to do this job ? thanks If the output's via scart,...
9 years ago 4

cooker hood off 32A 4mm radial "spur"
I've decided the best way to connect my cooker hood is via a "spur" off the 32A 4mm radial for fixed appliances. Is it OK to create a spur using an inaccessible-type junction box (not plastered in,...
9 years ago 48

cable turn 90 degrees in safe zones ?
Question just raised elsewere: If you have two sockets at a diagonal from each other, then you have two intersecting safe zones at right angles to each other. Is it OK and acceptable practice to run a...
9 years ago 5

symbols? (and a joke)
anybody know of a website giving symbols for sockets, switches (and doors and windows etc.) I'm going to draw up a floorplan of where and what I want re-wired thanx p.s. you've all prolly seen this...
9 years ago 14

Hammer inpact driver - does it exist?
Is there such a thing as an impact screwdriver that you can hit with a hammer (as opposed to the £££ for an electric one)? I'm removing some old cast-iron guttering and no way the screws will undo...
9 years ago 22

Double-glazed front door
My new house has a double-glazed front door flanked with 50cm-wide panels (double-glazed top, uUPVC panel bottom) on each side. The side-panel next to the lock seems loose (there is movement when the...
9 years ago 2

Wallpapering Problem
I`ve just finished wallpapering a room with lining paper and washable paper , using Solvite as the paste and am now having problems with edges of the paper lifting , especially a day or two later...
9 years ago 5

Flexible plastic tubing
When I built my pond and pump system some years back the tubing I was sold was a clear polythene type material - I still have a long length which is used on occasions when I decide to pump the pond...
9 years ago 4

Kenwood Chef problem.
I don't normally go near it but yesterday I did and broke it. I was using the liquidiser attachment. The speed control knob has a feature that if you turn it a little to the left it goes at max speed....
9 years ago 13

oh no, not *another* workshop lining question
Hello In short: would tarpaulins work or is it better to have nothing? Longer: I've read lots and lots, asked for (and got) good advice here so I think I am reasonably well informed now. Thanks to all...
9 years ago