Subject Author Posted Replies

air brick vents
I was looking for attractive hit and miss vents - white and preferably an attractive finish rather than tatty plastic. I could try spraying a metal version, but paint would probably scrape off when...
1
1

3 phase electricity supply
At what sort of load would an electricity supplier want to provide a 3 phase supply? (How big a house?) Is it normally possible for a domestic consumer to have a 3 phase supply? Would a 3 phase meter...
20
20

Identifying a washing machine.
Mate has a built in washing machine where the drum bearings (and water seal) have failed. The actual drum has about 1" of play at the edge - but the belt pulley on the back seems not to have any. It...
19
19

MDPE water main
What size MDPE is normally used for a domestic water main, 20mm or 25mm? The run is about 5m to the house, plus another 5m under the house. Looks like it's currently a 15mm copper pipe going out...
21
21

Rather OT.. how to date an antiquity?
Item in question is bronze, we think. Perhaps Asian in design. Depicts a 4 armed figure standing upon a small person (child, perhaps) and a serpent. To the right and left of the figure are two smaller...
10
10

Ball park figure for an extension.
Single story extension to a kitchen in a fairly recent timber framed house. Size about 15x12ft. Side walls brick - end wall opening (hinged) glass full size doors. Sloping roof tiled to match. Lights...
8
8

b&q warehouse opening times reduced
Local B&Q warehouse used to open until 9pm mon-thurs, 8pm friday, now closing an hour earlier on these days. A bit of a pain when you want to pick something up last thing, but it was pretty empty at...

Neighbours noisy toilet cistern
Hi, I live in a mid terrace, and my toilet backs on to my neighbours, when mt neighbour flushes their toilet the cistern takes over 2 1/2 minutes to r efill and the noise from the water filling is...
19
19

Dimmer on 2 way lighting.
Yes and no... ;-) With a "normal" two way dimmer switch, yes you use one plus a normal switch. However its not an ideal situation since when you are the wrong end and someone left the other end on...
16
16

3M Klett Power Self-Adhesive Pads: Any good?
Anyone ever used these? Cant find much info on web, but could be just right for a job I have in mind. @ Lidl next Thurs. 3M Klett Power Self-Adhesive Pads£1.99* Per Pack Can be opened and re-fastened...
2
2

Mesh over slot vented soffit?
Just about to install ventilated soffit in new dormer build. Just wondered about insects getting in via the slotted vents in the soffit. Should a finer mesh be placed over the slots, or is this just...
3
3

Getting details from the electgricity supplier
The regs&OSG say you should get max PFC and Ze by enquiry rather than measurement. The Electrician's Guide says that suppliers are required to provide, amongst other things, the PSC, Ze (actually say...
4
4

Anyone after a nice ceiling fan?
Its this one; including the remote The story so far; SWMBO said I could choose which one. I unpacked & assembled it. SWMBO hated it. SWMBO bought another one. I dismantled & re packaged it. Never...
16
16

3M Glass or Ceramic Protector - LIDL
Last week, or week before?, there were smallish plastic bottle of 3M Glass or Ceramic Protector at (IIRC) £3.99. Seemed quite a lot for not a lot - at least in terms of volume. Has anyone tried it?...
6
6

How much to dilute bleach
Want to get the mould off some stone work and paving slabs. Using standard household bleach from the supermarket, what is the best ratio to dilute it with water? Since I read somewhere, a time ago;...
12
12