Going rate for changing a gas hob

What would be a fair rate for a gas safe fitter for changing a gas hob (assuming an average number of embuggerances)?
Assume that the customer is supplying his/her own hob.
Tim
In article

Difficult to say. They should be plumbed in using rigid pipework - so that may or may not need altering. Making a big difference to the time involved. If it were simply swapping like for like, it only takes a few minutes.
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A better question perhaps is how much per hour would a qualified fitter charge then?
It just that my mother's elderly neighbour could really do with a more modern hob with a flame failure device (why on earth aren't these compulsory fittings on new hobs yet??) and I know from my mother's experience that elderly women get ripped off something rotten on a regular basis. It would be good to know what a "reasonable" hourly fee might be just to be able to advise her if she's been taken for a ride or not.
Tim
Tim+ wrote:

£50 is typical for a hob. I pay £30 ish when I want one doing. Assuming no leaks on the system when tested etc.

Thanks, that's all I really need to know.
Tim
On 09/10/2013 18:21, Tim+ wrote:

I don't think I could get the boiler serviced under £80, and that's only half an hour's work

I am not sure if that "should" was meant to be read as "must" but, as has been discussed here before, the widely held view that hoses were a no-no for hobs was based on bad drafting in an earlier version of BS6172. Eg https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en #!searchin/uk.d-i-y/gas$20hob$20flexible$20hose$20bs6172/uk.d-i-y/wWQndObGGAg/MXiGpbsy37AJ includes (per John Rumm)
"11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer's instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug-in device conforming to BS 669-1."
I know at least one person with a hob connected recently by a registered fitter that way.
Of course that's not to say rigid isn't better in other (or most) circs. And the flexible hose needs to conform - eg not come in contact with a surface over 70 degrees C or be at risk of damage from drawers.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

I was just quoting what it said in my Neff hob instructions.
To me it doesn't make sense that you are allowed a flexible hose for an entire cooker, but not a hob.
--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

it makes perfect sense; you don't need to move a hob, but you need to move cooker for cleaning round it.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 09/10/2013 18:51, charles wrote:

That only explains why a flexible connection is sensible for a cooker; not why a flexible connection is not allowed (in some cases) for a hob.
--
Rod

if the rule is solid connections except for some necesary exceptions, it explains it all.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Except that the rule quoted above, quite clearly (to me at least), says that either is permissible unless the manufacturer stipulates otherwise (ie *only* rigid or *only* flexible).
Of course this may not have been the intention of the rule but that's what it says.
Hobs don't need flexible connections but I'm sure in some instances it would make installation easier.
Tim
On 09/10/2013 19:48, Tim+ wrote:

Having gone through each of the editions of the doc, and followed the languages changes I am fairly comfortable with the interpretation that either are fine unless overridden by the manufacturer.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 09/10/2013 23:21, John Rumm wrote:

AIUI a free standing cooker can have a hose providing it also has a chain anchored to the wall (and presumably shorter than the hose)
On 10/10/2013 08:52, stuart noble wrote:

Free standing must have a flexible hose, and must also have a stability device. That can be a chain or an anti tip bracket. The purpose of the chain / bracket is to prevent the thing tipping the content of the hob on you if someone stands / falls on the open door etc. Its kind of expected that someone pulling the device out will take enough care not to stress the gas connection in the process.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 09/10/2013 19:33, charles wrote:

Not why that rule exists! If a flexible connector is good enough for a cooker why not for a hob? What is unique to a hob that precludes use of a flexible connector which is perfectly adequate for a cooker? Indeed, what makes it allowed or mandated to use a flexible connector for some hobs but not others? (That is, if the manufacturer's instructions say so.)
--
Rod

That may make sense to you.

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 18:40:15 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Me neither. How would you install a hob without a flexible hose since the hob goes into a hole in the worktop?
--
(\__/) M.

In the same way as you connect the gas supply to a boiler - or any other fixed appliance. You install it first, then plumb to that.
--
*Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard? *

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:50:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

How? In our kitchen there is no access from below.
--
(\__/) M.