Dyson challenges EU ruling on his hoover's energy efficiency ratings

Never mind his cleaners are heavy, expensive and foreign made shit

"...Dyson said that testing its vacuum cleaners in an empty lab wouldn't take into consideration their bagless design, which means they don't get clogged up with dust the way other hoovers do..."

Yet again he conveniently ignores the dyson filters which do clog up.

Reply to
Artic

The filters are PITA, need changing with monotonous frequency and are expensive.

Reply to
Broadback

I just wash it under the tap. When I remember, about once a year...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same here for the portable. For the DC01, there is a filter that needs changing, but I can't remember when we last changed it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Does Mr Dyson actually call his machine a hoover?

Reply to
S Viemeister

As do most makes. However, Having only recently tried a Dysan, it does seem to work better then the Vax I have for the same power rating and both are bagless. I think Vacuum cleaning is an imprecise art at the best of times so who knows.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, some of the other makes conveniently fall to bits if you attempt to wash them. I smell a rat here.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But how long will it continue working? The performance seems to be good, but the build quality rubbish.

I have a 20 year old Panasonic upright with bags. All it has ever had is new bags and a couple of drive belts. Despite there being a long haired dog in the house for much of the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only Hoover I ever tried fell apart after about three months. I replaced it with a Mercedes. It's been working perfectly for

20+ years now.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

So how does this differ from my DC01 that is 19 years old, has needed some work on the mains cable and a new hose?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hoovers only do 15mph down the motorway, that was your problem.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled...

I've got a Hoover Junior in the shed - must be 50 years old and still does the job.

Reply to
Artic

His commercials never show the machines being emptied, as that would reveal that they are not at all 'bagless', as the only non-hazardous way to empty the cylinder is directly into a bin liner.

Reply to
Arty Effem

I think it is more the case that the old(er) Dysons were indeed of very high quality but it is in more recent years that the quality has dropped.

You might argue that something similar has occurred with other brands also but I'm not hearing that it is quite to the same extent.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

We've had a DC35 also for a couple of years, at the enthusiastic recommendation of a relly. It gets a lot of use and had no problems.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Gosh amazing. Me, I just empty the Dysons onto the carpet. Or outside facing into the wind whenever it blows hard, like yesterday.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Perhaps you should leave the domestic chores to your carers.

Reply to
Arty Effem

Gosh, you're a sharp one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You may jest. Back in the 50s, my parents' cylinder vacuum cleaner had a permanent fabric bag. To empty it you removed the end cap, upturned the whole thing onto a sheet of paper and then trod a few times on a lever. This tensioned and then released a spring to shake the bag and dislodge the dust.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon