Re: Energy Efficiency Ratings - Ovens

We're after buying a new cooker (Electric Double built in thing) and

> we've narrowed our choice down to 2 (there's not a lot of choice if > you want a green - the colour! - cooker). One of them (the one we > really want) is rated at efficiency 'C/C', the other is efficiency > 'A/B' (Main oven/secondary oven). I've had a look at the saveenergy > website
and it lists everything but cookers! > Does anyone know what the difference is between band 'A' and band 'C'? > Surely a cooker by its very definition cannot be energy efficient - > it's designed to produce heat!

It's probably a question of how much of the heat it produces goes into heating the food, verses how much goes into heating the kitchen, and how much is wasted in heating the internal metalwork and then lost when the oven is switched off. This latter part might effect how long it takes to heat up and therefore how long in advance you need to switch it on. Mine, which is probably about 5 years old, takes about 5 minutes to get to max temperature, whereas one I recall my parents having one some 20 years ago of about the same power rating took probably over half an our to get to max temperature. That would result in vastly different energy consumption if you wanted to, say, cook a pizza for 10 mintues in a hot oven.

I've no idea which aspects of the efficiency the letters you've seen refer to though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Indeed. It will cost me more to cook one chicken drumstick in a big oven than a small oven, so big ones are less efficient.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the replies! I've not got a newsreader, so I've got to post through Google so I only get one shot per day at this...

I see what's going on now: The oven that is rated A/B has a main oven capacity of 47 (A rating) and a secondary oven of 35 (B Rating). The C/C oven has a 65/32 split. To a layman like myself this seems ridiculous - the energy efficiency ratings don't seem to be done on energy efficiency at all, the 32 litre oven will, 99% of the time, be using less energy than the 35 litre one yet it gets a worse rating! If the ratings start becoming more widely used it will mean that the manufacturers just have to fiddle their ovens round the size limitations (ie increase the capacity by 3 litres in the secondary oven and 1(!) litre in the main oven and bingo - you've created an A/A rated oven - that is less energy efficient than it used to be!

Thanks again for the replies.

Reply to
Stacey Higginbotham