Subject Author Posted Replies

Sawing finished oak
I am about to buy a large oak sideboard which is fine apart from the height. I want to shorten the legs by 80mm. The cross section dimensions are a fairly substantial 90mm x 60mm. As I have iffy...
8
8

Yet more evidence of the uselessness of wind
Perhaps harry an JJ would like to comment:
17
17

fault in diesel lawnmower electrics?
A non internet savvy acquaintance asked me to help diagnose a fault on a ageing but impressive diesel ride-on by John Deere, and it occurred to me others might know these brutes better than I, so...
2
2

daft question about kitchen cupbaord handles
Hi, The world's slowest kitchen refurb continues at a slow pace. I have a collection of door handles off the old cupboards. They are not magnetic so cannot be steel but although a dull grey colour...
7
7

Self-testing Telephone Line
My mother's phone has developed a habit of deteriorating in quality in the evenings. It seems to get markedly quieter and has an odd "talking from inside a cardboard box" quality. This seems to happen...
18
18

How to get rid of smell of vomit from car upholstery?
Don't ask how. How can I get rid of the smell of vomit from a car seat? Tried wiping down several times with disinfectant and letting it dry thoroughly but it's still there. It's a faux-leather...
17
17

new washing machine advice
Hello, My old Hotpoint washing machine has died. It was making a noise on the spin so I replaced the bearings and was very proud of myself. It only lasted a couple of weeks! We did a wash yesterday...
56
56

Lidl multimeter
I don't know if it's been in the UK stores yet, but I picked up this today. Not bad for the money - a definite cut above the normal cheap shit. It's not a Fluke, but for that money, do you expect one?
28
28

I wonder... Gutter discharging onto roof tiles
I'm probably being over cautious (it's what I do best!) (video of water discharging from 10m2 flat roof onto double-pantile tiles) If you look at 0:04, 4th tile from top (inc half tile at top) and...
14
14

Garden taps - completed
Just for fun: I've covered the pipework with brown "square" guttering. Quiz: How dod I fix it on? Hint - needs no tools to remove, except for an allen key to unscrew the Peglar valve tees. I learnt...
8
8

Replacing built in oven and hob and amtcing worktop
I need to replace the built in oven as the grill is not longer working correctly. The oven is standard 600mm wide, the hob is 580mm x 500mm but at the back of the hob is a vent for the oven also the...
2
2

Submersible heater ~60C
I nead a heater I can drop into a tank of water, approx 2 gallons, and get it up to about 60-65 deg C. Searching just brings up fish tank stuff, which would be fine if it got hot enough. Any ideas,...
8
8

sticky hooks
has anyone ever bought any sticky hooks that stay on. The ones I have just bought lasted two days before it fell off (holding up a tea towel) I have some heavy-duty replacement sticky pads that stay...
4
4

Dehumidifier recommendations?
I'm after a small dehumidifier. From what little I know about them I think compressor types are better, is this correct? It will be running much of the time so want something economical. Noise isn't...
37
37

Painting outside railings
I have some black painted outdoor railings. Where the wield joints are some rust is beginning to appear. I plan to wire brush the rust and then I have some phosphoric acid to treat it. Do I need to...
2
2