Reinforcing brickwork

I have a small L shaped garden wall to build (3 or 4 courses high) from reclaimed yellow stocks, and I would like to to reinforce the right angle. It'll be a raised flower bed so I don't want to reduce the growing area with a pier. Is there some sort of metal plate that would straddle the corner? Or is there a better way? TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

Build the pier but stop it short of the top so whatever is going behind the wall covers the top of the pier.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Thanks, that's another option

Reply to
stuart noble

Piers are to stop the wall falling over when there is a long run without corners, he doesn't need one in a corner as the the walls can't fall over easily.

Reply to
dennis

Its all down to the footings. If you want/need to bodgily skimp on footings , one way to much improve cracking performance is to include iron wire or n ylon rope pulled tight in each mortar course. Metal needs to be well rustpr oofed though, or it'll only cause wall demise later.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can buy SS wire mesh to reinforce brickwork at any builders merchant.

Reply to
harryagain

The rope idea sounds interesting

Reply to
stuart noble

Do make sure you get ss, cheaper galv will trash the brickwork down the line.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

use (bow?) ties on every course. In fact use ties on every brick if its a retaining wall.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The usual failure points are rubbish foundations, or a bulge in the middle somewhere if earth is being retained by it, if it is going to be a raised bed, be sure to build in plenty of drainage though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I built a brick BBQ 35 years ago. The brick work sook began to come adrift from the top down. On rebuilding it, I decided to see if I could somehow reinforce it to prevent the same happening again. I added in the final mortar course, some scrap chrome plated rods, from an old supermarket trolley, which I bent slightly into a zig-zag to give it a means to key.

That lasted 30 years, until I demolished it a couple of yeaars ago. due to the reinforment, it was very hard to demolish.

Nylon rope, with knots to give it a key; galvanised steel wire should all work and beat having to rebuild it aa few years later. Coping stones can be reinforced by the same method.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its normal to build galv mash into aircrete walls at intervals and around openings, but that is usually for an inner leaf. Agreed I'd want to use stainless on an exposed wall. The stainless is a lot more expensive though. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Nylon?

I race boats. We don't use any nylon ropes - it's too stretchy.

I suspect you'd be better off with Kevlar, or even Terylene.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Would clothes line be polypropylene? I certainly don't envisage using anything I can't pick up in the local ironmongers

Reply to
stuart noble

Possibly. Polypropylens is less stretchy than nylon - but it creeps (stretches slowly over time) and is amazingly slippery.

You should be able to get Terylene at any half-decent hardware shop. Even B&Q.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Clothes line is slick & slippery. Ordinary rope works - but tie & pull it tight with 2 sticks. Leave the tension on for days, until the mortar gets strong. I dont know if theres any upside to tying knots in it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you need reinforcement then do it with something sensible like..

Putting old rope in is just asking for it to fail later.

Reply to
dennis

But galvanised would rust apparently

Reply to
stuart noble

The opposite is the case. Galv metalwork will inevitably destroy the wall due to rusting & forceful expansion. Only a wally would choose it.

Rope has no possible mechanism by which it could destroy the wall. The worst possible outcome is that it ceases in time to reinforce the wall.

NT

Reply to
meow2222
8<

That depends on the mortar mix and depth, just like rebar in concrete.. if its done properly it doesn't rust.

Reply to
dennis