Topping up cavity wall insulation

We have blown fibreglass insulation in the older parts of the walls.

During the extension work we must have lost some of the original cavity wall insulation.

Is it possible to top up this kind of insulation?

Given that the normal method of installation is blowing up from the ground floor could this be done for a top up?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

You won't miss it..

you can't install it by blowing it up from the ground floor, you have to have holes quite close together to get anywhere near a proper fill.

Reply to
dennis

Why do you think that?

Yes. Polystyrene bead is easy to diy - if its actually needed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I've had windows replaced and two wall cut-outs made in a house with CWI, and it was obvious that some was lost: fluffy stuff blowing around the garden...

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Umm...I saw it coming out and blowing around.

Just not sure how much we lost.

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Polystyrene bead can be done with just a handheld hoover and a waste pipe. And something to make the holes. Do holes frmo the inside, daft to damage the bricks for the sake of a bit of filler.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you drill it in the mortar joints you don't damage the bricks.

Reply to
dennis

cant get big enough holes without cutting brick corners off.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Are you recommending beads to top up a fibre fill?

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I simply said its an option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They seem to manage on most houses, do you have a thin joint system?

Reply to
dennis

Doing beads properly is difficult without the correct equipment, they are supposed to be coated in glue as they are blown in.

If they aren't they fall out through even small holes.

Reply to
dennis

On most I've seen you can see the brick damage where they've blown it in

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Glue coating is less easy to diy without the right kit. But for walls that are generally not recommended to be CWIed you need the beads uncoated so th ey can be sucked out if ever needed. Yes, it does mean checking for holes : ) Otherwise christmas comes early.

NT

Reply to
meow2222