Lateral separation between gas hob and wall cupboards?

I realise this will be spec'd in the installation manual for the hob, but I haven't bought that yet and need to plan the cupboard layout. The "re-use of gas appliances" guidance doc suggests, in the absence of other info, 50mm separation between the edge of a hob and overhead cupboards (not to an adjacent vertical surface); I'm planning on 100mm so am assuming that this will be OK for any normal 600mm four burner hob

- unless someone here tells me otherwise ... ?

Reply to
Biggles

From BS6172:2010 "Specification for installation, servicing and maintenance of domestic gas cooking appliances (2nd and 3rd family gases)"

John Rumm

Thanks! 'tis very surprising to see that the wall cupboards are allowed to overhang the hob by 50mm - a small rethink may be in order.

Reply to
Biggles

Not the clearest of pictures but I think it is saying the opposite.

Minimum height clearance for the width of the hob (1) is 760mm.

Minimum height clearance at the width of the hob plus 50mm each side is

460mm.
Reply to
fred

Bah! You are, of course, right. I hadn't seen the footnote which says that "1" refers to the hob width (I thought it was just a reference to tie the first two diagrams). I will ensure the clearance is at least

50mm, as originally planned. Thanks for pointing-out the error.
Reply to
Biggles

If you look at the installation instructions of most cooker manufacturers, you will probably find you're allowed to position the overhead cupboards in line with the edge of the cooker so long as you respect the minimum height (usually around 400mm).

Reply to
ja

Or if you look at the linked diagram that was extracted from the regs themselves, it shows that the minimum height permitted in that area is

460mm.
Reply to
fred

The installation instructions for my gas cooker (Stoves) specifies a minimum height of 400mm. Is the BSI figure a legal requirement or just a recommendation?

Reply to
ja

It's the benchmark for acceptable practice in building regs so I'd say that made it an enforceable requirement.

As it's the requirement for clearance from combustible material I'd say in this case that the regs trump the manufacturers' instructions in case of discrepancy.

Reply to
fred

The appliance installation instructions take priority, and can override the BS standards.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel