Gas-electric separation?

Can't spot it in Scaddam, Whitfield, or OSG or in the Wiki. There is a figure, isn't there? 50 mm unless in conduit?

OSG p.18. At least 25mm for pipes up to 35mm, 50mm for pipes over 50mm. Gas to CU/boards/switches, at least 150mm.
Alan.

Thanks very much, I knew it had to be there somewhere.....
OSG is a bit short on the wording...
BS6891 2005 section 8.16.2 "Separation of installation pipework from other services"
"Where installation pipes are not separated by electrical insulating material, they shall be spaced as follows: a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards or consumer units; b) at least 25mm away from electricity supply and distribution cables."
Conduit or PVC L-angle (B&Q) is adequate to provide separation.

Thanks, I've got some oval PVC "conduit" which should do nicely (this is an underfloor run between a joist and a wall which narrows down to a couple of inches).

You mean to say that putting electrickery and gas down the same pipe is no longer legal? Damn
NT
Tabby wrote:

Course its not. Don't you connect wires between gas pipes, water pipes and the earth? :-)

Now why would anyone want to wire up their soil? A crazy fashion.
Oh well, at least we can still run a live wire down the water pipe, and where the wire end is cut it heats the shower water nicely.
NT
Tabby wrote:

My dad had a method of soil sterilisation, when he was mixing potting compost:
He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then he added water until the soil resistance lowered, and hence the ammeter reading rose to the desired level. It was left to simmer for hours. I can smell it now.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

poured not from a copper watering can :)
NT

Apparently water can get in to the gas pipes though:-
"In a statement, SGN said: "There are currently approximately 750 homes in the western part of Edinburgh without gas due to water entering the gas network."
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Burst-water-pipe-leaves-750.6611094.jp
--
Geo