OT Global warming.

Came across this:- http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2014/03/the-most-common-fallacy-in-discussing-extreme-weather-events/#_edn1
On 26/03/2014 08:44, harryagain wrote:

Most people agree that climate changes. What is in doubt is why.
Colin Bignell
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:13:36 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

fallacy-in-discussing-extreme-weather-events/#_edn1

The climate has been changing the past 10,000 years. Something rarely alluded to in the "debate". We're still coming out of that[1] ice-age. Even within this period there have been variations, and anomalies. There's some fascinating archaeological evidence within the UK of settlements having to move because dry spells changed the environment. However these all happened before you could tax carbon, and are so don't really count.
I visited a fascinating abandoned town in Kenya, on the coast near Watamu. It was built by the Portuguese in the 1600s, but one year the wells dried up, and (IIRC) are still dry to this day. No water - they had to leave.
If instead of faffing about with carbon exchange schemes, we'd just looked around at preparing for climate change, maybe Somerset would be less flooded.
[1]Yes, there have been several
On 26/03/2014 10:23, Jethro_uk wrote: <>

<>
Will graphene be subject to carbon tax? :-)
--
Rod

Bugger 10,000. Try five billyun or so, or since whenever the surface cooled enough to have solid patches, so that the word "climate" came to mean something.
--
"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores

cf. Fatehpur Sikri.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatehpur_Sikri
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 12th day of Discord in the YOLD 3180
A non-empty Hausdorff topological space is a continuous image of the unit
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:57:09 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

common-

Well, true, but the relevant parts are the *regular* ice ages we have encountered since h. Sapiens evolved.
On 26/03/2014 08:44, harryagain wrote:

We all know climate changes, we are currently near the end of an ice age.
What I don't understand is why some group thinks that we can prevent the ice age ending.
They don't even know what caused the ice age or what will end it.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 14:09:06 +0000, "dennis@home"

At the risk of offending the Chinese community, "Fluctuations" in a chaotic climate / weather system.
--
Regards, J B Good

The ice age that we are in fact still in (and inside *that* we in an interglacial, due to come to an end in the not-too-distant future) is essentially caused by two factors:
1) A land mass over one pole, which allows ice to accumulate
2) land masses *around* the other pole, preventing flow of warmer water from lower latitudes to keep it warm at the poles. This also allows ice buildup.
IIRC, the interglacials are caused by such as the Milankovitch Cycles. Winky has an article about that.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't
On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 16:45:43 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

common-fallac

And any undersea eruption resulting in a new land mass could upset the apple cart. As indeed could an undersea earthquake. And that's before you remember that the continents are moving *anyway*.
In the context of that, the effect an energy saving lightbulb has is like trying to empty the pacific using the healing power of crystals alone.
On 26/03/2014 17:39, Jethro_uk wrote:

It would take a pretty good earthquake or eruption to make a landmass of appreciable size. I don't expect any in the near future.
Even geologically near.
Andy