Subject Author Posted Replies

Depth of Gas Pipe
Was digging a trench across the front lawn yesterday and came across the iron gas supply pipe. It was only buried about 200mm deep. Are there any standards specifying depth for something like gas? I...
8
8

Climate Change IPCC Prof on R4 today 09.00
"The Life Scientific", on this morning at 09.00 (after the news) on R4 is talking to an atmospheric science Prof who sits on the IPCC. Might be interesting to see what a proper scientist has to say.
36
36

Builders and Reliability!
Got a builder whos done from work for us in the past. To be fair, he does a good job, and hes a nice guy but hes unreliable. And hes the most disorganised person I've ever seen - he just seems to turn...
18
18

Porches on Victorian terraces
Have you put a porch on the front of your victorian terraced house? If so, what the absolute fuck were you thinking?? They look vile, serve no earthly purpose except to turn the entrance to your home...
16
16

Re: Mystery SMPS IC Follow Up
In response to my original question some kind person sent me a link to the TDA4601 9 pin smps chip, sorry I didn't note who. But thanks you for that - in the application notes for that chip was a...
7
7

Cleaning silk
I have a small stain on a silk tie. A lot of US-based websites suggest using "alcohol" to help clean it, but to me that means anything from Muscadet to methylated spirits. Any better/more precise...
6
6

turntable abd pickup ?
Can anyone recommend a turntable and pickup of current manufacture and of reasonable quality ? Jim Hawkins
7
7

A rather disturbing website...
came to my attention, since web security is a bit of an issue I have to deal with. This site wont hurt, but it will tell you, possibly rather too exactly (it certainly knew which exchange I was on...
136
136

Wallrock Thermal Liner
I live in a Victorian semi, which is very expensive to heat in the winter. Cavity wall insulation is not an option. The windows were all replaced recently window with modern double glazed windows....
10
10

someone said something about wasps the other day. feel lucky you didn't have this.
-- mhm x v i x i i i Bee removal expert Jonathon Simkins was alerted to the ominous mound, 1000 times bigger than the average nest, on a privately-owned hunting ground near Tampa and filmed the wasps...

Built in gas ovens
I am replacing a built in gas oven with oven and grill. I see that the majority of oven/grills are gas oven and electric grill. The only all gas oven/grills I have found are New World and I swore that...
7
7

Slow news day
"No damage or injuries have been reported" "Glen Ford from the British Geological Survey said it could have been "quite alarming" for anyone who felt the earthquakes."
15
15

How do you take the plug out?
I thought I'd ask before I need it rather than wait for an overflowing sink. Moved house. New unbranded bathroom suite came with the house. Wash basin has a push-to-close-push-to-open waste plug. I've...
9
9

Re: Duff microwave oven (2024 Update)
I had one years ago that used to do that. The bloke in the spares shop said that "microwave fuses were the repair man's bread and butter". It would blow the fuse every 6 months or so. The fuse was a...
14
14

Split rail PS
When building a split rail low current PS with discrete components - like say +/- 15v - does it matter if the transformer doesn't have a centre tap on the secondary? It's just that I've seen circuits...
47
47