Subject Author Posted Replies

Washing machine filter?
I tried to remove the filter on my washing machine to get cat hairs out of it, as it's spitting them back onto the clothes, but undoing the small (2 inches across) cap behind the flap at the bottom...
16
16

TOT: the philistines at the BBC
The Sunday Hour is a programme of Christian hymns. Some time ago the BBC moved it to 6am, such is their contempt for our traditional culture. The programme isn't about religion, it's about music....
56
56

Stability of 240v supply under FIT tarrif?
Sigh As I said earlier I further note from the above that it can result from defective/useless digitalised equipment and so be entirely spurious. Ie not exist at all. A lot of digitalised...
131
131

OT; starting a blog.
How does one go about it?
10
10

new/replacement roof - anyone with experience integral pv roof tiles?
My south facing tiled bungalow roof needs refurbishment. Does anyone have experience of integral solar pv tiles installed on the sunny side of the roof? One example of the style under consideration is...
3
3

concrete railway sleepers
I am looking to span a stream about 1500mm with some prestressed concrete railway sleepers an wondered what load they would take. Car, transit or concrete truck. Is anybody up on structural...
18
18

OT but oft discussed in this NG: Norway dumps carbon capture
and The outgoing government in Norway buries much-vaunted plans to capture carbon dioxide and store it underground amid mounting costs and delays. http://tinyurl.com/nta2kdn

Outdoor lights
Hello there I'm after some advice please. I'm a pretty competent DIYer.... We've currently got two outside circuits which are each connected to a 5amp fused switch, and the connected to a socket each...
8
8

Watching paint dry.
Or rather I don't want to watch it any longer. I have painted a corner in my kitchen ( following lots of renovations and electrics being moved etc -long story). The corner is small and cramped and...
12
12

Stone for door step
We are having our front block paved (tumbled blocks 60mm thick) and I am considering something different immediately in front of the front door as a feature. It needs to be 36" x 34" Any thoughts on...
3
3

Radiator valve
Any idea where I can get these: The valve is branded Altech. It's more the elbow bit that connects the valve to the 10mm plastic pipe that I'm after....
11
11

How do you clean venetian blinds?
How do you clean venetian blinds? I wouldn't have imagined it was anywhere near as difficult to do as I found it. What am i doing wrong?
18
18

Wake Up
Duncan Bannatyne reveals how to set up a business and make it a great book provides the perfect wake-up call for you to change your life for the better Download Audiobook >>

Drilling and tapping stainless
At some point in the next week or two, I'll want to drill and tap a dozen holes into stainless steel tube, this is 2mm wall thickness, 42mm diameter handrail, I'll have a 100-200mm offcut to practice...
46
46

Mad as a hatter, or how to reclaim.....
mercury from fluorescent tubes and cfl's? I use a fair bit of mercury, clockmaking, jewellery, baros etc. My stock is running a little low and the substance is becoming increasingly hard to obtain. I...
36
36