Wood Burner Flue

A quick question.

This is an 1890 terrace. In the front room we have an open fireplace with a gas fire that just vents up the flue. Open flame type with non-flammable coal look alike blocks (what's left from what the Clumber Spaniels haven't eaten!) It has a wooden surround and a stone fireback (is that the right w ord?) The gas fire will soon be decommissioned when we have a gas man in t o re-site the gas hob in the kitchen.

I have a woodburner to fit (secondhand and needs a bit of fettling), I also have some roofers coming to do some work on our dormer window. I was wond ering that as they were near the top of the roof if I could get them to pop a liner down for me!

Notwithstanding Building Regulations, is there any reason, whilst my roofer s are up there, I can't get them to drop the flue down? Any recommendations on type? Do I assume I just measure the length from the closure plate (or where it will be) to the top of the chimney pot? Shall I get them to fit a cowl at the same time, I also assume that the cowl just clips in the top? How is the flue secured at the chimney pot end?

I have heard pros and cons about vermiculite around the flue, is it a requi rement, if not, any thoughts for and against?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

[...]

Usually the chimney pot has to come off to get the liner in. There's a closure plate goes on top of the chimney stack brickwork too. Then the chimney pot goes back on with some cement (haunching)

Reply to
harryagain

Info here.

harryagain

Excellent link.

Thank you.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Apart from the BR remember that should it all goes pear shaped sometime in the future your insurers might decline liability. Also if you sell the property in future the buyer's solicitor will be asking difficult questions about the installation.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

You can't find the paperwork....at which point you are offered an indemnity insurance policy to buy & give to the buyers?

Panic over

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Now that the housing bubble has been re-launched, tell the buyers to sling their hook

Reply to
stuart noble