Subject Author Posted Replies

Best roof box pulley system design....
Hi All, I have recently purchased a roof box and bars to store our camping gear rea dy for the next camping trip. I have a "cunning" idea that I could suspend the roof box (with rails attached) from...
17
17

How to approach builder's problem?
I've had building work carried out on my 1860 house/cottage. There is one item left which is scheduled to be completed on Friday. One of the main items of work was: Item 3. Front water ingress This...
41
41

Paving greenhouse floor
She's finally accepted the obvious, and decided that the packed earth floor in the greenhouse is not the best of surfaces, and that laying some flattened cardboard boxes down will not prevent the...
11
11

OT. All new cars to be fitted with trackers?
It is the Daily Mail mind. Every new car sold in Britain will have to have a ‘black box’ device fitted to track drivers’ movements from next year, under plans being imposed by the European...
29
29

cap for sealant tube.
I doubt I am the first to do this but it may come in useful to others. Having used a just a small amount from a tube of sealant (gun type) I was looking for something to cap the end off neatly rather...
14
14

OT That's a new map of the UK I have not seen before
6
6

Repairing a brick wall
Hi all The brick wall in question is a free standing garden boundary wall. The top few courses need repairing, as water/frost damages has caused bricks to come loose, and in some cases bricks from the...
1
1

Separate earth wire
I have a Class 0 appliance, but not enough 3 core flex in stock. As a short term measure is it permitted to add a cpc wrapped round the 2 core flex, as long as its effectively cordgripped at each end?...
29
29

Favourite new 'tool'
Every so often I buy something which so improves the quality of my 'diy life' that I think 'why the hell didn't I get one of those years ago'. Previous winners of this self-awarded prize over the...
17
17

Heavy duty toilet seat hinges needed
I need to replace the toilet seat for a disabled person. He tends to destroy the hinges of the average toilet seat design we've tried so I reckon I need some kind of "industrial" quality hinges! I've...
9
9

OT: Firefox and Opera
I just made the mistake of allowing Firefox to update to the latest version today, and they seem to have broken it. Things like the refresh button seems to have been permanently docked, reduced in...
31
31

source of 1/2 AA rechargeable batteries?
Hi All as per the subject line - any suggestions for a UK source of 1/2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries? (ie half the length of AA batteries, so two in series can make an AA-sized 2.4V battery). The...
4
4

electrical: immersion heater with two heads
Just trying to set the temp. on an immersion heater - which has two thermostats/elements (?) There are cables to both that could carry 13A each no problem. I don't have any info on this settup and...
3
3

Battery power and DAB radio
I've just posted this on but it's occurred to me some here may have a view: I've got an unused DAB radio (an Alba PD2) that I'd like to use in the bathroom. It's mains only - the mains input jack says...
55
55

Who has a good stock of reamers in the UK - need a 9.4mm or .370"?
Anyone who plays golf will recognise a 9.4mm or .370" reamer as the one that widens a hosel from taper tip to parallel tip. Looking for one of these - must be straight shank, i.e. parallel flute. So...
5
5