cap for sealant tube.

I doubt I am the first to do this but it may come in useful to others. Having used a just a small amount from a tube of sealant (gun type) I was looking for something to cap the end off neatly rather than leave nozzel on to form plug or sticking something up the nozzle. Found that the thread is the same or very close to the toothpaste that was nearby. A Colgate one in this case ,has a little flip up cap . Fitted the sealant tube a treat and if I want just a small blob of anything in similar tubes in future I can just flip open the cap and quickly close it again. Won't be throwing away toothpaste caps for a while.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A small bit of cling film works quite well - at least for relatively short periods.

Reply to
polygonum

I normally take the nozzle off and clean it out with a kebab stick and kitchen paper, then screw the nozzle back onto the cartridge trapping a bit of a plastic bag (a kitchen sandwich/freezer one, not a supermarket carrier) between the nozzle and cartridge. If I'm using sealant and only need a small amount I don't use a nozzle at all, just take the nozzle and plastic bag off the cartridge and squeeze a little out onto a finger, then reseal it, because cleaning out nozzles is a pain.

If I've run out of nozzles I seal cartridges with plastic bag stretched tightly over the outlet, and tape the edges of the bag to the cartridge body to try to keep it airtight.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

In article , polygonum writes

Some PVC insulating tape wrapped and flattened works well and will probably last longer (better seal). Pulls off easily for the next job.

Reply to
fred

On 11 May 2014, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk grunted:

But you've then got to fit a new/clean nozzle though?

I just stick a 2" nail down the nozzle, and it plugs it perfectly ready for use for next time.

Reply to
Lobster

Nice tip. Thanks

Reply to
stuart noble

I use a stainless steel screw of suitable diameter

Reply to
PeterC

That spoils all the fun of digging around the fat end of the nozzle with a pointy thing for the bendy silly-cone :)

Pete@

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Good timing - there's about one squirt left in my toothpaste tube, and I have a large tube of silicone which I just started!

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My 2p is when you cut the nozzle to size for the width of bead needed, keep the bit you cut off.

When done with the sealant/whatever stick the cut off bit into the end of the nozzle "backwards" -pointy end first.

A bit of gear is squidged out (I wrap a bit of kitchen roll roughly around it til set - keeps it from slarting all over other things) but there is then a good seal.

Next time of use, pair o pliers /moles to remove the end et voila -good to go.

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Ah but if that next time you cut the nozzle again for a larger bead, what do you then use to seal that?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

There's always been the odd woodscrew or self tapper around of just the right size, that's done the trick for me.

michael adams

michael adams

Small beads then! ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

How long do you keep a 3 quid tube of silicone going ?! ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

'One more squirt'? Nonsense! There's never just 'one more squirt'!

Ian Jackson