Subject Author Posted Replies

e.on's heavily pushed new fixed tariff
Has anyone found the real details on E.ons "Fixed 1 yr v9" tariff that they are heavily pushing. Particularly any bits relating to the standing charge reduction for paying by fixed monthly DD and the...
67
67

trimming aluminium sheet
What's the best way to clean up the edges of 1.6mm aluminium sheet, to get then dead straight and perfectly smooth, and possibly to apply a bevel? Bill
6
6

Pressure washer repair
Hi all, I have a Wickes pressure washer (it's a rebranded Lavor I believe). It had a little accident the other day. It toppled over, and the end of the plasti c water-inlet fitting sheared off. The...
5
5

Replacement cordless drill
My trusty Bosch PSB 24 VE-2 has finally given up the ghost, after 11 years of, at times, very heavy DIY work. A good investment IMHO. Seen me through three house renovations. Thing is now, what to...
6
6

Wiki: Lath & plaster ceiling
Made a start... NT [[image:IMAG1842-2 Lath |right|250px|Laths before plastering]] '''Lath & plaster''' walls & ceilings are often found in old houses. They c onsist of 2 parts: # Laths, thin [[wood]]...
12
12

FWIW: tap valve dismantling & repair to fix dripping tap
Hi all just thought I'd mention a possible failure mode & repair option for a dripping tap, which I'd not encountered before. We have a Mixer tap in the kitchen sink with standard tap washers etc....
14
14

Small plumbing emergency
Recently changed the bath taps for a new set, and now the hot feed pipe is leaking slowly from the joint where the pipe bolts onto the tap. I've turned off the relevant gatevalve to the hot water and...
13
13

Cleaning up after painting
I don't really mind painting, but cleaning brushes/pads/rollers takes ages to do properly. Short of buying new ones every time has anyone any tips, before I go mad?
33
33

Does primer need protection from the elements
Having painted some outdoor utilities with (expensive) greyish primer, the dull matt finish has exactly the right appearance. Will it survive well exposed like this or is it essential to find a finish...
5
5

OT: The Onion's take on GM reliability
or: for short. DETROIT—In what is being hailed as a potential game-changer for the beleaguered automotive giant, General Motors announced Thursday that it plans to pour all its resources into a...

Dishwasher problem
Any bright ideas on curing our Zanussi dishwasher from refusing to start. Its a ZDT6252 model and most time when we try to switch it on it refuses to acknowledge the command. Its a built in model with...
8
8

Recycle/dispose problems
I am in the process of clearing out our "pig sty" (it was one many years ago). It has been used by 3 hoarders including myself over several decades. I have unearthed two items which nobody seems...
33
33

Stainless steel or decking screws ?
I've got some wavey edged larch boards that I'm putting up as a wind break (4" wooden posts concreted in). What is the lifespan of decking screws, or should I use stainless? Rob
4
4

Extractor hood
A newly moved-in neighbour, after cleaning a kitchen stove extractor fan hood with sray-on Ecover, was alarmed last night to find the thing seemed to be burning internally. There was in fact a small...
7
7

Garage door mechanisms
While shutting the garage door (Hormann up and over type ) tonight it whacked the wheelie bin and came to a juddering halt. It would /nearly/ close but a few inches from the bottom some sort of...
2
2