Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Now I know why everything I need from Screwfix is always out of stock...
Hamayun Tariq, a divorced 37-year-old who was born and raised in Dudley in the West Midlands, shared four images on Twitter of a room where he claims to make explosive devices known as IEDs.
3
3

Central heating system conundrum
Hoping for some guidance.. History: - About four weeks ago I noticed the the radiators were taking longer and longer to warm up. - I decided (for no reason other than it's never been done for 7 years)...
38
38

OT pregnant.
SWMBO brought this bitch home. Found it running about in the traffic. No-one knows whose it is. Suspect SWMBO wants to keep it rather than turn it in to the pound! No-one else would want it....
18
18

Roofing felt v tempereature
I have been waiting to re felt shed roof (8x6), There is a 2 hour window tomorrow where temp will be real feel of 18C (actual 17C). Is this warm enough to do a decent job or should I hold off until...
13
13

Router or Planer or something else...
Finally, I'm going to have to fix my garden gate. It's a heavy oak door that expands and contracts depending on the season and the weather. It has an L shaped edge that fits against an upside down L...
12
12

[OT] Intermediate lenses
On the subject of glasses, for a single focus lens for a short sighted person, how are intermediate lenses sepcified (ones you might use for reading plus computer work at up to say 1m)? Is the far...
27
27

OT: re-glazing spectacles
My lens prescription has changed enough to make changing my specs worthwhile - the frames are OK so reglazing is probably the most sensible thing to do. A few years ago there was a discussion about...
11
11

Foulwater drains: tightest bend a drain rod can negotiate?
Re: 5" foulwater drains: Can anyone tell me what is the tightest radius of bend that today's drain- unblocking rods can get around? Thanks... PhilK
32
32

Best tool for cutting lengths of wood - benchsaw ? or little man ?
I'm going to be doing a little bit of decking :( . I think I have most tools I need. However one element of this scheme will require creating an incline. I will need to drop from 210mm to level over...
12
12

OT Solar panels start fire
Somebody in Hove may be regretting fitting solar panels to the town hall. A large fire at Hove Town Hall may have been caused by an electrical fault solar panels on the roof, the fire brigade says.
30
30

Bog cisterns
I understood the old float ball valve type with the slider that carried a washer against the nozzle, and the newer variations on that which used a diaphragm, but this flat has some modern contraption...
4
4

OT - threading in this NG
I've just updated Windows 8.1 with the latest patches. Now nearly all the new posts in this NG seem to have lost their threading. I'm using So correlation does not imply causation, and I haven't...
5
5

Sander or multitool?
I've just borrowed a Fein for a bit from the guys who installed our bathroom (I know - but it took 2 pros over 2 weeks, which would have been a lot of weekends!) just to sand around some awkward edges...
6
6

ceramic tile cut-outs
greetings, gentlemen, I found a quick and precise way of making cut-outs in bathroom tiles that couldn't easily be accomplished by any other means. It involved using a fine, pointy bit in my dremmel....
6
6

Extreme Mini Fabrication (car)
I've never seen any mention here of Project Binky: A thouroughly well documented and onging project to make a 4WD Mini (the classic "Issigonis" type with a transplanted Toyota drivetrain). If you have...
6
6