Dehumidifier on the blink

I have a dehumidifer (a Challenge MDF-12DMN3, which might be an Argos own brand?) which up until now has performed flawlessly for several years.

However, all of a sudden it has completely stopped outputting water; it's collection tank is bone dry. The machine apparently runs just as normal though (ie you can hear its motor running)

The manual is here:

and I've checked the two 'troubleshooting' tips for my symptoms - the air filter is clean and the output drain is not blocked.

Any thoughts as to the problemn or do I just buy a new one?

Thanks

Reply to
Lobster

if the compressor runs as well as teh fan, it's a deadun. Recharging with refrigerant is not practical - unless you're unusually determined to diy it with butane.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My guess is the compressor isn't running. Most of the noise comes from the fan motor, but deep vibration/rumble will be the compressor. Often there's a circuit to delay the compressor switch-on for a period (3 mins on mine), so it can't try starting soon after stopping. I've seen several cases where this delay circuit fails, and the compressor never switches on.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 18 Jan 2016, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) grunted:

Weird, but having just tried it again, the machine is now collecting water as normal again!

Pretty sure that the compressor was still running when it wasn't producing water

Yep mine has that feature.

Don't know what's going on with it, but long may the present state of affairs continue!

Reply to
Lobster

Maybe a grubby relay contact or something.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It heard Tabby's suggestion...

Reply to
newshound

Could the evaporator (cold element) have frozen up and blocked the airflow with ice? Was it in a cold place (below 16C)?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel