Subject Author Posted Replies

INstall NEST thermostat into system with no current thermostat
Afternoon folks, My current heating hot/water setup is a 25 year old boiler (in good order, no plans to replace), a Randall 103 old-school timer, the water is gravity fed with big cold tank in the...
6
6

Screws - what do I need to buy?
I have made a temporary shed-like structure. Every year, it gets erected, used for around a week, then dismantled and stored away. It's made in sections. I put it all together using my usual wood...
10
10

OT - for any email gurus
Just received some SPAM (gasp!) to a Hotmail account. I looked at the message headers and stuff, and saw (small part): " Subjectively-Blows: 2767 Thimbles-Cumulative: fcef678f31cb3...
8
8

Rising damp
Yes. I know this has been done before.... and the consensus that silicone injection not worth the money. However. I have damp in an internal wall (was end of house plus range chimney opening) which I...
11
11

Energy subsidies should focus on storage and cutting demand, MPs say
Good luck with that, then! Incidentally, anyone recognise the picture at the beginning of the article? My guess is that it's El Hierro in the Canaries, where they have a pumped storage system, pumping...
16
16

Waterproof under cupboard lights
Hi All As part of my outdoor kitchen I am looking for some strip lights the sort y ou would have under kitchen units but would ideally need them to be waterpr oof. In theory they won't get wet due to...
1
1

Which cable to us?
Hi all, I have an outdoor kitchen with a plug socket inside one of the cupboards. I need to run a couple of sockets off this and was wondering what cable to u se? Plan is to largely run the cable...
21
21

Refrigeration gasses
The prohibition of HFCs seems to be claimed as a major success against greenhouse gasses. Even my 9+ year old fridge-freeze uses isobutane (R600a) so it seems manufacturers are ahead of the curve on...
15
15

The bells at York
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too. The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read...
114
114

sharpening scissors
Why doesn't it work? Bill
12
12

Samsung SSD 750 EVO v 850 EVO / Ubuntu
For the average user (web, email, music, movies, etc), is there going to be any difference between these two drives? I googled and saw pages containing answers, but they all merged into one mass of...
88
88

The spare vibration sensor arrived today....
Along with 29 more! Not bad for £1.90 So if anyone wants any, just ask.
7
7

Private Prostate resection operation
Hi all, I realize this is not an healthcare group, but wonder if anyone has had a Private Prostate resection operation who could tell me the rough cost please? I have had an enlarged Prostate for many...
53
53

Smoothing over badly-rendered, painted exterior walls
Can anyone recommend the best way to smooth out badly-rendered, painted ext ernal walls, in a cost-effective way? Due to the fact that the wall has bee n painted, I'm not sure if simply applying a...
7
7

Choosing a reciprocating saw
I am trying to decide which mains powered reciprocating saw to buy. The Bosch GSA1100E and the Makita JR3050T look good, but I am struggling to decide which one to get. The Bosch is less expensive,...
2
2