Inline Bathroom Extractor

I am looking to install an extractor fan to remove vapour from a shower and toilet niffs. Are inline fans better than ceiling mount fans and where is the best place to locate the grill with the toilet pan and shower at opposi te ends of the bathroom. I would rather not site it above the shower as fit ting is a little awkward not to mention claustrophobic owing to the shallow angle of the roof approx. 22deg.?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

nd toilet niffs. Are inline fans better than ceiling mount fans

they can be sat on rubbery bits in the ceiling void.

hower at opposite ends of the bathroom. I would rather not site it above th e shower as fitting is a little awkward not to mention claustrophobic owing to the shallow angle of the roof approx. 22deg.?

the closer to the bog pan the better

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Inline are generally best, but there are good and bad ones around.

I would have thought that you would want the grille over the shower, for best overall performance, but you don't tell us where the air is flowing into the room to replace what you are extracting, which is another consideration for airflow.

After recommendation here, I bought one of these:

Admittedly not cheap, but I was amazed by how quiet it was, I had to feel the air to be sure it was running. You can't even hear it in the bathroom, certainly not elsewhere.

It is screwed to a board across a couple of joists, and there seems to be no discernable direct transmission. The mounting bracket includes some rubber isolation material.

The airflow is far better than the (failed) cheap one it replaced. It can push-fit into the pipework, and is readily removable for cleaning.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I have a Solar Palau in line fan and it's pretty effective.

Not that model, but similar.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Chris, the shower is going to be a full length walk in situated beside the outer wall which has a long narrow high level window roughly at eye level w hen stood in the shower. The window will be the principle source of replace ment air the toilet is at the other end of the bathroom roughly 2m centre o f pan to centre of shower.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

In that case I would say that your easier installation at the toilet end would seem to be the better bet, to get the air moving across the whole room.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Thanks for the advice and pointers.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

We have several of these (or near offer) to do extraction duties in two bathrooms and the kitchen (plus a failed attempt to move warm air between rooms).

The upstairs bathroom vent is over the bath/shower but still seems to keep the atmosphere reasonably clear at dump time.

In the kitchen we have two vents, so you could always have two vents, one over the shower and the other over the toilet, joined by a Y piece before connecting to the fan.

In general I would put a single vent as near to the shower as feasible because I think shifting humid air probably needs more flow than stopping fumes seeping under the door.

Obviously half way between the two should work as a compromise. Only you will know which of the two needs more air flow. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Tricky Dicky formulated the question :

Always best, at the opposite side of the room to where air comes in. Idea is to prevent steam and smells escaping via the door, drawing air across the room. Usually that will be directly opposite the door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just another thought re: the idea of two intake grills. The ceiling in the bathroom will be lowered enough to fit some rectangular ducting so I could fit two grills one over the WC pan and over the shower. Is this gilding a l ily or will this improve niff and vapour extraction? If viable would I be b etter reducing down from 125mm ducting to 100mm ducting to connect the two grills?

Finally which is better to fit a back flow restrictor immediately after the fan or use a flapped wall outlet? The distance from the fan position will be about 6m to the wall outlet.

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

e bathroom will be lowered enough to fit some rectangular ducting so I coul d fit two grills one over the WC pan and over the shower. Is this gilding a lily or will this improve niff and vapour extraction?

I don't see an upside in taking half the airflow at each point.

ting to connect the two grills?

no

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I ended up with a flap just after the fan to prevent reverse flow when the fan was off.

I think that this was because the run to the external vent was quite long and it needs a bit of puff to open those external flaps.

One result is that on very windy days you hear the occasional flap noise from the ceiling (or under the floor depending where you are) as the flap blows shut.

With the twin vents I used the same size of pipe all the way because the fans will shift quite a volume of air.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Do you enjoy being kept awake on blustery nights?

I even find the flaps on on my (non-adjoined) neighbour's house mildly annoying at times ...

Reply to
Andy Burns