Subject Author Posted Replies

Power Supply to Garage
I will be replacing my rather leaky garage with a larger new one soon. This will leave 4' gap between the garage and house. The gap is a concrete pat h and between the house and garage I intend to...
39
39

Toilet cistern handle problem
The handle on our toilet is faulty. I cannot see an easy fix, thought this might be a good time to change is for the button type. I do not wish to change the actual cistern as unless it was exactly...
15
15

Ridged carpet fix?
I was let down by carpet fitters three times, with the carpet ready to fit stored in the garage ready for the hall/stairs/landing. Those who bothered to quote, made it not worth my while DIY'ing. Over...
4
4

Well that sucks
in a good way. The other day I ordered some vacuum hose[1] - I thought it might prove handy in the workshop since I often struggle with dust collection on hand held tools, since the normal shop vac...
3
3

Ink for Epson - Shake or not
Reading the instructions for changing the ink on a Epson printer I saw the instruction to Shake the black ink - but don't shake the coloured inks. If I knew why I would probably remember it correctly....
5
5

When sawboards go bad
So I cut a length off a full sheet of 3/4" MDF. Being too large to feed through my table saw I used my long sawboard[1]. Normally I am just breaking down a big sheet so I can machine it further, but...
7
7

Fitting a new cold water tank
Hi All it looks like our old cold water tank is leaking in the loft. I have got a drip tray under it and will be investigating further, but there is at least a possibility that a new tank will be...
13
13

Oil CH boiler ignition duration = how long should it keep sparking?
The oil CH boiler's a Worcester Danesmoor HPJU25OOO. It's nearly 20 years old, and has been 'professionally' serviced annually - and it has been fairly trouble free. About 6 months ago, it started...
12
12

Door chain for PVC front door
Last night at about 9PM in the dark there was a knock at the front door. People never seem to see the door bell. It was this dairy guy asking me if I'd like him to deliver milk. I politely asked him...
41
41

Photography question - LED lighting
I've got a lot of old photographs to digitise. The options are to scan or re-photograph, and a website on the topic suggests that for a lot of photos, re-photographing is quicker, and requiring less...
30
30

Why do Tescos auto checkout machines always give change in (almost) the smallest amounts possible 5+5+5+5 = 20
Why do Tescos auto checkout machines always give change in (almost) the smallest amounts possible 5+5+5+5 = 20
50
50

Removing ceiling artex?
I want to remove stippled ceiling Artex in my living room. I'm going to have the Artex tested for asbestos first and probably leave it if it tests positive. A few questions: 1) I have coving around...
10
10

How long does a knife sharpening steel last?
I presume they eventually wear out to the point of being no more use than a smooth steel surface, but how long might that typically take? Daniele
14
14

There, I've fixed it.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/S210r9
27
27

Expansion strip 2
Phil recenty posted about an expansion strip on a new build. Today I say this one a new build. Nice white "silicone" hidden by the fall pipe - why not use a brown silicone And it looks like the person...
4
4