Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: new cat amongst the racial pigeons?
The history of human evolution has been rewritten after scientists discovered that Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa.
15
15

Smart Meters and supplier swap delays
OVO installed SM's for us last June. In Nov we changed suppliers to First Utility. FU then said they could not enable the SM's to work with them, but months later changed their minds and said they...
28
28

Water-king "softener" device
In the new (old) house I've recently moved to there is a Water-King WK gizzmo on the main feed. I've never seen anything convincing about the supposed science of these things so have assumed they are...
1
1

Video surveilance
Since being hit a couple of time by cars a property near me has erected video cameras - I guess as a means of collecting evidence if it happens again. I suspect there is a speed monitor on the same...
8
8

Bees
Just noticed some bees flying around under the guttering of the house. Can't see a nest and don't want one. Any ideas on how to discourage them?
14
14

Screwnails?
Are screwnails still used? What advantage do they have over screws?
1
1

Fitting/sealing a bath
I've just put in a new bath - thick bead of silicone sealant between bath and wall tiles, then a finishing bead between bath and tiles with bath half full. 24 hours between each. Anyhoo, in use the...
26
26

Forces in a gambrel roof
Very hypothetical... How strong is that? There must be some not insignificant spreading forces going through those gusset plates. I am wondering - as I am musing plans for my workshop, long term...
39
39

Simple CCTV system needed
My elderly mum has started to be terrorised by a deranged neighbour and her alcoholic son. We rather urgently need some sort of CCTV system to monitor her front door. As it's a door off of a communal...
17
17

OT Cats
But they're not "wild". They are pets. Owners should be responsible for them IMHO. FWIW Many cats shit in my garden and nothing I have done works to deter them. I don't have any pet Lions!
10
10

Typical Sunday
For starters my van has broken down. And the next door neighbours have decided to put a car on Paul's old driveway.
4
4

OT: help with English phrase, please!
hello everyone. Can anyone tell me what is meant by the English idiom, "push the door to" please? Thanks.
25
25

Smell from sink overflow
Last week, our cloakroom (spare loo) developed a smell - a dampy mouldy smell. Investigation tracked it to the overflow slot in the handbasin ???? Working on the premise the sink is rarely used, I...
12
12

How not to fit a socket.
One for Adam's collection. Spotted in a pub in Liverpool. Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!
22
22

ATTN: Rod Speed - speed limits in Australia
I often reverse a long way down a one way street - I wonder if that's legal?
2
2