Expanding foam question.

The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion) expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things). It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that there is more than one diameter for these things.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

No.

Reply to
FMurtz

Okay, didn't think so.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

No not really. I recall trying this for some trim in a shed and it was like screwing into candy floss, unless they have made a better foam by now! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against plastic drinking straws.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes me too, but its a might too late, as they were about in my teens and now I'm 67.

I think what he wants for this are some wood blocks the thickness of the foam screwed to the wall behind the foam then just screw into the blocks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How high do you think they are on the list of the planet's biggest problems?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Profuse apologies, then. But we have a boxful from when our lad was small. It's a good way of doing something useful with them, I think. And I'm not going to leave them lying around the countryside when I've finished :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Is this on a brick wall? Can you not rake out some mortar from the vertical lines and hammer in wooden wedges to screw to?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I had to pass the wires from the door release round the door frame, under the plaster. Used a plastic drinking straw as micro-trunking.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Breeze block. There is about an inch of plaster on it, with the usual gap at the bottom.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Judging by the way they wash up beaches and are ingested by marine life, I think they belong in the top 10, along with all forms of plastic waste (teabags, coffee cups, sandwich cartons, cook-chill food trays).

Reply to
Andrew

I swear by an old bag of polyfilla or better still Wickes fine surface filler. It sets rock hard in about a minute, so excellent for those oversized holes that wont hold the rawlplug in place.

Unlike old gypsum plaster, the Wickes variety can still be shaped or scraped flat after its initial set but before it is dry. Also sandable.

Reply to
Andrew

I'll try it next time I need to buy something like that. I need something that dries more quickly than what I usually have lying around.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Ah. I thought the planet's top 10 problems contained things like a billion people in poverty, huge numbers of deaths from diseases, stuff like that. I shall add drinking straws to the list.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But thats all *natural* stuff like wot God does. Only Man is capable of Sin.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The planet has no problems.

If people lived the *natural* way there would not be the quoted billion people in poverty.

Reply to
Richard

Well quite. At the end of the last ice age the world population was ~ 5 million. Mind you, they were all pretty poor.

Reply to
newshound

Giving the environmentalists full credit for honesty and good judgment, I wonder if it is justified to do away with plastic straws because it is relatively cheap and simple to do?

Reply to
Roger Hayter