Expanding Foam ......... silly question ...........

How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed to unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

Thanks

Reply to
jamma-plusser

I think you're stuck with it. Nothing shifts it from your skin either

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Acetone (or MEK) will disolve is slightly, but they also tend to remove colour out of things as well, so be careful.

I think the Pollycell web site says the only way to remove solid foam is via mechanical means....

Reply to
Ian_m

You can get "foam eater" products that may help. Can't say whether they will also eat the jacket though!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all, might try some acetone .............

Reply to
jamma-plusser

I wouldn't bother. It's only a solvent for uncured foam. Once it's gone off, you've basically had it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Foam eater does work to an extent. I used some on a concrete area. It is time consuming and quite a bit is needed with several applications.

I also tried it on some heavy duty work trousers and while it did remove the cured foam on the surface, it didn't from the weave. I doubt if it ever would to any degree of perfection. It's not cost effective in terms of materials and certainly not in terms of time.

For work type clothes it's a case of chuck them and replace.

If it's an Armani suit then a lesson learned.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think he said it was a nylon jacket. For all I know they might be trendy these days

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Sorry, wrong! I once managed to get some on our hall carpet via the bottom of my shoe (didn't notice till next day when it had gone off and expanded into substantial blobs. I thought I was dead meat, but it came off beautifully using acetone.

Acetone will probably trash the OP's nylon jacket though... try a small amount on a non-visible area first.

David

Reply to
Lobster

such as an angle grinder :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Having had some experience of this (including carpets, walls, skin and hair) I can say with some confidence that you don't. Ever.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I am inclined to agree with this.

When doing DIY there should always be set of clothes that normally wouldn't interest a starving Biafran, for use till past disintegration point.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Her indoors would say that all my clothes fall into that category

Reply to
Stuart Noble

All of these foaming PU products are an absolute swine to get out of clothes including PU woodworking adhesive.

Don't ask how I know.

Reply to
1501

Try vegetable oil and mechanical removal (agitation, flexing, picking). Veg oil got the damn stuff off my hands without removing the skin. The foam had set but was still "fresh" not fully cured. If I ever use expanding foam again, I'll put some veg oil on my hands first as a release agent. ISTR that the tin had this information on it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice