Expanding Foam ......... silly question ...........

How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed to unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.
Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?
Thanks
jamma-plusser wrote:

I think you're stuck with it. Nothing shifts it from your skin either
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:21:12 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Try vegetable oil and mechanical removal (agitation, flexing, picking). Veg oil got the damn stuff off my hands without removing the skin. The foam had set but was still "fresh" not fully cured. If I ever use expanding foam again, I'll put some veg oil on my hands first as a release agent. ISTR that the tin had this information on it.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Acetone (or MEK) will disolve is slightly, but they also tend to remove colour out of things as well, so be careful.
I think the Pollycell web site says the only way to remove solid foam is via mechanical means....
Ian_m wrote:

such as an angle grinder :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
jamma-plusser wrote:

You can get "foam eater" products that may help. Can't say whether they will also eat the jacket though!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:21:01 +0100, John Rumm
Thanks all, might try some acetone .............
jamma-plusser wrote:

I wouldn't bother. It's only a solvent for uncured foam. Once it's gone off, you've basically had it.
On 2008-04-24 17:21:09 +0100, Stuart Noble

Foam eater does work to an extent. I used some on a concrete area. It is time consuming and quite a bit is needed with several applications.
I also tried it on some heavy duty work trousers and while it did remove the cured foam on the surface, it didn't from the weave. I doubt if it ever would to any degree of perfection. It's not cost effective in terms of materials and certainly not in terms of time.
For work type clothes it's a case of chuck them and replace.
If it's an Armani suit then a lesson learned.
Andy Hall wrote:

I think he said it was a nylon jacket. For all I know they might be trendy these days
Stuart Noble wrote:

Sorry, wrong! I once managed to get some on our hall carpet via the bottom of my shoe (didn't notice till next day when it had gone off and expanded into substantial blobs. I thought I was dead meat, but it came off beautifully using acetone.
Acetone will probably trash the OP's nylon jacket though... try a small amount on a non-visible area first.
David
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:05:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jamma-plusser) wrote:

Having had some experience of this (including carpets, walls, skin and hair) I can say with some confidence that you don't. Ever.
Peter Parry wrote:

I am inclined to agree with this.
When doing DIY there should always be set of clothes that normally wouldn't interest a starving Biafran, for use till past disintegration point.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Her indoors would say that all my clothes fall into that category
All of these foaming PU products are an absolute swine to get out of clothes including PU woodworking adhesive.
Don't ask how I know.