Yawn, another meter question

Max Demian has brought this to us :

You can get plug in logging meters for that, to monitor instantaneous, hourly, daily and weekly.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

then when they see their profits dip, they put the price up, and so it goes on and on and on.

Reply to
critcher

going on a bus - with an elderly persons' card - from one of the route to the other - and again ....

Reply to
charles

Both, but I have converted to LED and the heating goes off half hour earlier, no standbys overnight etc etc.

Reply to
ss

Could you not just have a look at the immersion heater switch:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Must be me, but how would any meter persuade me to switch off lights etc I didn't need? Unless of course you make a habit of leaving things on when not needed. And can't for the life of me see how a fancy meter would change that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's the new money, then?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think the whole "smart meter" crap was busted when someone asked if they save electricity, why not use them for water, and save water. The only reason that makes sense is if they don't save electricity.....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Bit like the M6 toll then. Buried in the legislation which enabled it, is the power for the operator to adjust pricing to ensure profit. One of the reasons why HGVs are most assuredly not welcome (and therefore priced off).

Quite amusing, in a depressing way, to hear Brummies whinging that lorries should go on the toll to ease congestion on the regular M6. If they'd bothered to educate themselves, they'd know the truth.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Except meter readers also fulfil a lesser known role of superficial safety inspectors.

You can imagine what mischief the Great British Public would get up to if they knew no one would ever check their meters again ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

When the new referendum takes place and we beg to stay in the EU we will all be using Euros.

Reply to
alan_m

Oh yeah, like everyone's going to be stupid enough to fall for the way that May and that French tosser have endeavoured to make it all appear like the divorce is *way* too complex to bring to a successful conclusion! :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

They won't switch it off. They will (treble?) the price of electricity it there is a shortfall in supply.

The YOU will turn it off. Or your computer will.

Reply to
harry

Modern meters have a flashing LED. Flashes once per watthour.

Reply to
harry

Of course: but we're talking about so-called smart meters.

Reply to
Max Demian

hahaha

ROFL!

You mean when we set up the NEW EU and germany begs to join it, but we won't have a common currency...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mines pretty good once I got the tails passing through the clip well placed.

I capture the XML data stream mine produces and log it. Then have a bit of PHP that'll plot a graph of consumption for a given day. I look at that maybe a few times a week and normally catch her indoors leaving the iron on or can see when she has...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How long do you think an appliance thus controlled would stay connected to the controlled supply. Or if the "remote switch" is in the appliance that a bit of wire from its input to ouput magically appears?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would probably be more effective with water especially in times of shortage.

Reply to
bert

And you call this progress?

Reply to