Xpelair not starting

Hi,

I have an Xpelair unit in my bathroom that is supposed to come on with the light cord but is only doing this sporadically. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it waits a few minutes and sometimes it doesn't bother. It sometime starts with encouragment i.e. a couple of slaps or if I take the front plate off and manually spin the fan. Are these units repairable or is it likely I need to replace it?

I'm loathe to replace it as I'm likely to be moving soon.....

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Endulini

In article , Endulini writes

Dry/gummy bearing, dismantle, clean and oil for temporary relief.

Reply to
fred

In article , Endulini writes

Dry/gummy bearing, dismantle, clean and oil for temporary relief.

Reply to
Endulini

Replace the fan (check Ebay for offers, and check the feedback carefully). It really is a small price for a brand of fan that has (usually) served well for quite a long time. However IF the fan has failed early, make sure the blades do not hit the duct due to distortion.

It is most likely an AC fan. When an AC fan stalls current drawn rises, with no airflow to cool the monitor. Whilst there should be a bimetallic thermal cutout, it becomes a fire risk re heat, dust & oil a perfect combination (there is enough oil left!).

DC fans can use electronic cutouts... but the AC to DC power supplies then become the next point of failure... :-)

Reply to
js.b1