Washing Machine - Does This Sound Right? (Long)

I recently purchased a Kenmore Model YPE111 top loading washing machine to replace a twenty year old Whirlpool washer which had given us faithful service for far longer than I could believe.

Shortly after we started using our new machine we noticed that sometimes when the timer advanced to a point where a drain/spin cycle should start the machine "stalled". The motor did not run and an electrical hum could be heard for about a minute, until it stopped with a "click" which sounded to me like a thermal circuit breaker popping. This happened even with a VERY light load of clothes in the tub.

The machine would remain completely "dead" for about 15 minutes, and if the timer knob hadn't been moved by hand the hum would start again (When the thermal breaker reset?).

If we nudged the timer knob ahead a tiny bit during that humming sound, the drain/spin cycle would start and the remainder of the wash would complete OK.

A Sears tech came out and blamed it on the timer. He replaced the timer a few days ago and that "stall" with a "hum and click" hasn't happened since.

But now, at some points in a "normal" cycle the machine's motor stops, everything is quiet as a mouse, and after about what seems like one "advance" of the timer knob (about 30 seconds) the motor starts and the cycle proceeds again.

I asked the tech who replaced the timer and he stated it was "normal", he'd observed it before, but he didn't know "why" it happened.

I never noticed that "stopping" on our old Whirlpool, and this machine isn't supposed to have any "soak" cycles. I can't think of why it would be a designed in feature, unless maybe to make sure everything has stopped moving before they reverse the motor, so there's no shock like you'll get from shifting a car into reverse while it's still rolling forward. .

Is the tech correct about those "pauses" being normal or are they maybe something I should be concerned about while the machine is still in warranty?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Don't know about this model, however dishwashers pause like this, although I don't know if it is for as long as 30 s. I think it is to let the water drip down before draining. My washing machine (front- loader) pauses between steps (such as rinse->spin) or even at times while filling with water. I think it is because things don't happen instantaneously. So it allows the water to soak the clothes so it can figure out how much more to add.

The dishwasher has a mechanical timer, and the WM's is a computer. So yours could be a combination of having a mechanical timer and necessary process delays.

Reply to
Nexus7

I think it is similar to the situation of a great high jumper or pole vaulter. They get out there and they breathe a few times, and they wait until they feel the moment is right to start their run to the bar. Same with the machine. It has to know, to feel, to believe that it can make it through the next cycle before it is ready to start.

Reply to
mm

The dishwasher probably pauses to let the crumbs settle and go out with the dirty water. Some of the crazy stuff done by the front loading washing machines is to clean the outer drum according to a Maytag tech. Initially the early Maytag front loaders had simple cycles but when they got mildew complaints upgraded boards made the inner tank spin sometimes as clean water poured in to clean the outer tub.

Reply to
Art