Worst Household Chores ?

As opposed to someone doing it as an independent business?

Reply to
mogga

We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious about the market. Would you pay £40 to have someone overhaul your oven

No.

I wouldn't pay for anyone to do anything in my kitchen.

De-frosting the fridge or the freezer is the worst job, having to find space for all the stuff I take out. Hrumph. Rationalising the pantry is bad but it can be done piece-meal.

Cleaning the oven isn't a problem, a quick wipe round with a clean damp cloth when it's hot is easy - as longas you don't allow stuff to linger.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

ROTFLMAO. But then, we did once look at a house we were going to buy and the current owners were self employed wheelie bin cleaners!!!

Why do you need to clean a wheelie bin???

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dunno, mate. It's just something I remember her mentioning once. I know it's odd, but Sis tends not to consult me each time she cleans a household item. But that's just how she is, I suppose.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Exactly!

Judging by the size of the house and the cars they were driving, enough people feel the need.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

We just try and restrict defrosting the freezer to the depths of winter, when it's well sub-zero outside: contents then just get shoved into cardboard boxes and stacked in the (unheated) workshop or garage. Plenty of time to get the job done without any risk of food thawing out.

A steam wallpaper stripper really helps, too.

David

Reply to
Lobster

We do that with the chest freezer in the bee shed (stuff is simply left on the garden paths) but it's more of a chore with the contents of the upright one in the kitchen.

I use the steam cleaner. Same thing, I suppose.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite, having just read the whole thread no one has mentioned the state the rest of the kitchen or property is likely to be in if the oven needs a commercial grade clean. I wouldn't fancy kneeling on a floor that oozed, or crawled, away from your knees whilst cleaning a stinking grease and carbon encrusted oven.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Why not run down both freezers until half full then decant items from one to the other to defrost the first?

Mungo

P.S. Is the freezer half full, half empty, or twice the size it needs to be?

Reply to
Mungo

Franchisees are independent businesses, and take much of the risks associated with the franchise.

However a franchisee with his own money invested is likely to work harder than an employee on a wage, and the franchisor gets a %age of the franchisee's income without having to have the capital to develop the business himself.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

To keep up with the Joneses.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Lobster" contains these words:

I just pile it on the kitchen table and throw a duvet over it. doesn't seem to come to any harm. Put sensitive stuff like icecream in the middle - or better just eat it while you wait.

I don't like wasting energy using a heater to speed up the defrosting, but an ordinary fan blowing into the open door seems to melt the ice pretty quickly anyway, particularly in the summer, of course.

Reply to
Guy King

The kitchen one is opened daily and is usually full. The chest is for long term storage (cows, sheep, pigs).

Also, the chest is far, far bigger than the kitchen one.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ventilation holes in a wheelie bin?

Where?

Reply to
Matt

Okay, got that straight. Just to make sure the others here on uk.d-i-y understand, Mary is bigger in the chest.

Mungo (couldn't resist the opportunity Mary ;-)

Reply to
Mungo

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

They'll probably be the sort who have carpets in kitchens. Bleeeeuch.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Matt contains these words:

Ask Helen. The compost bins in the People's Republic of Brent have a small circular vent near the top on each side.

Reply to
Guy King

There are small holes in the body of the bin. Spouse says they're for ventilaion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We're not in Wales.