Worst Household Chores ?

It's not a Chem-Dry operation?

Do a search of local papers in another area to yours of a similar makeup and find out from that area's operator how business is, and how the franchiser is to deal with.

Who is funding the advertising costs?

Reply to
Adrian C

My cleaning lady cleans my oven.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

The message from Ed Sirett contains these words:

If it's /that/ wealthy they'll already have a maid.

Reply to
Guy King

You're joking? Cleaning windows is easy. Ovens not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cleaning the oven is easy. Worst job has got to be cleaning the lavvy.

Reply to
BeeJay

The worst job I ever had was with Jayne Mansfield.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Only if you let it get into a "state" in the first place.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not really. It wouldn't seem worthwhile unless the oven is seriously dirty. If I let it get seriously dirty then I obviously dont care, so I would only be paying for cleaning if it were a special occasion: selling or renting the property say. In which case I might pay for some deep cleaning of the whole property but not make a special case of the oven.

Reply to
DJC

I have one oven and 180 separate window panes, i.e. 360 sides that need cleaning. I'd rather clean the oven.

Reply to
Nick

What they did must have worked for you. In my case the guy just wasnt competent, and spent his entire time doing the wrong thing on the wrong part of the system. Either he didnt know what he was doing or he was just pretending to do the job. It was easy enough to see where he was going wrong.

And at the end of it he expected a signature to say the job was done satisfactorily, and payment of =A370 as well! Quite happy to pay someone that does the job as per agreement, but in this case I told him where to go. It seems in that hour he had forgotten what we agreed on the phone, and made up something else. Complete cowboy.

We got it fixed by someone else for much less, someone that actually worked out what needed doing and did it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

What, *every* month?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Presumably the franchisor claims to promote brand awareness and pass on lots of leads. But you have to wonder why he doesn't go national with his own operatives if it's such a ready market.

Reply to
Rob Morley

DynoRod's a franchise, isn't it? So the quailty could be very variable over the whole country. Hey, this thread's about franchises. To the OP: Oven cleaning *and* drain unblocking as a single service?:-)

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Worst chore - removing a fresh cat turd from the litter tray while suffering from a hangover...

I'd clean my own oven rather than spend =A340... You could probably get some self-cleaning liners for that price!

Reply to
Alan

Their motto:

"Semper in excretum. Sed alto variat"

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thought that was why people own dogs. They do that job very well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

To those who are saying 'it would never work' - such businesses are certainly already in operation, as I remember my sister (in London, and admittedly with more cash than sense) once saying she'd paid something like that to have her oven cleaned. This would be 3-4 years ago.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Lack of capital, probably. By franchising the franchisor retains ownership of and control over the brand. If he raised equivalent capital by share issue his ownership would be severely diluted.

Also, franchisees tend to work harder than employees, as they have their own money invested.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Franchises try fairly hard to provide a consistent minimum competent standard, because if one operator screws up it reflects on the whole organisation. They do this by training, testing, and checking up later, with appropriate assitance / remedial training / discipline if needed. There are also specific requirements re job performance and customer service in the franchise contract, and if the franchisee doesnt comply they can lose their franchise.

Either this guy wasnt properly trained in the job, or he was but just couldnt be bothered to do the job, preferring to stand there for a hour and pretend. Something somewhere went wrong in a franchise that turns out an operator that does this. Either he wasnt trained to competence, or he was but is having some kind of personal problem. To pick up on the incompetent and unwiling, any decent franchise will use mystery shoppers now and then. Then there was the question of the bill. What happened should not have, and does not leave me with any confidence in dire---. He turned up in cowboy boots with spurs, which I would expect would be against franchise rules, he couldnt or wouldnt do the job, he requested signature of a blatantly false statement that he wrote on the spot, and then he demanded payment after agreeing to payment only if he succeeded in resolving the problem. He screwed up at every stage.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

She only did it the once?