Wooden floor in poor condition

No, certainly not. Use Cuprinol (or any spirit) woodstain, then apply gloss varnish, then matt if you want. Other recommendations are Bourne Seal, etc. Don't use tinted varnish if you can avoid it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I couldn't recommend stained varnish at all. Personally, I don't like stained wood in the first place. I only ever use clear finishes or paint on wood. Painting knotty pine to look like oak just looks odd to me, as the grain is all wrong.

Stained varnish is particularly bad, as it is a surface coating and looks awful when chipped.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

If your talking about stripped pine furniture ETC then don't bother if it's been dunked in a tank of stripper - the stripper reacts and weakens the glue and eventually your items joints will become loose!

Reply to
James

Exactly my point, if it were made to show off it would be secret nailed but was done 'on the cheap' and meant to be hidden! Some floors were secret nailed but very few, if it were a show floor for want of a better word it would be parquet flooring or something similar!

Reply to
James

Like doors? Yeah, they all fall apart don't they?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

then, by definition, its not a fad.

NT