Wooden floor in poor condition

Hi there I have a Victorian pine floor (I think). It is really dirty and seems to have had a variety of floor coverings over the years that have left stacks of nails, screws etc embedded in it. The areas that I have cleaned so far seem sound enough. I really don't have the time to prepare it for proper sanding, so i am thinking a good clean with turps/meths/vinegar, bleach etc etc to get most of the dirt out, spot sanding to get the paint splatters out and then varnishing - without sanding.

Am I daft, or is this a reasonable way of doing it? Would painting it be a better option?

cheers!

Reply to
spacky_packy

Daft, IMO. Sanding really isn't that difficult when you get into the swing of it. Local hire shops are usually much cheaper than the chains.

A hammer and suitable punch will deal with the extraneous nails.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yes. You probably won't get a good finish unless you spend a lot of time on it. Use a shave hook or glass scraper rather than sanding it to get paint splashes off. Keep your shave hook sharp on wet'n'dry.

Possibly, if you like it.

You could "get a man in" to do the job of sanding it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

thats what I did, and it came up nicely. I turned a couple of damaged boards over to get a decent surface, and used a very coarse handheld sander on a few with persistent muck.

The key I found was persistence with washing. Apply washate, let soak 3 mins, clean off, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. I used washing powder with a little bleach.

Painting, ick.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If it's only dirt, and you have the patience, washing gives you a better look IMO. Drum sanders leave a coarse finish which doesn't take stains and/or varnishes as well as the original. I'd just use detergent. Carpet cleaner works well because of its tendency to foam on the surface rather than soak in.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks for all those, I like the idea of using carpet cleaner - staying on the surface and all that. My biggest issue is with getting the nails, tacks, screws etc out of harms way for the sander - that's why painting seems like an option, just hammer them home and no-one knows.

All good suggestions tho!

Reply to
spacky_packy

Rip the bloody stuff up and redo with something like chipboard

Or some new planks.

Easier in the long run.

I can never understand this fad of trying to make crap old timber look like crap old timber, but with the imperfections revealed..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not a fan of antique furniture then

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Presumably he doesn't think it looks better with the polish stripped off and all the upholstery removed.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Standard Softwood floorboards were never meant to be sanded up and varnished, I just don't get this fad, go around the big old country houses - the floorboards there are decent things (not the cheap stuff you find in your average house that are nailed down, if it were meant to be seen it would be secret nailed) or Parquet flooring! Stick to carpet or go for laminate flooring!

Reply to
James

Most Victorian floorboards were meant to be seen. Why they werent secret nailed I dont know, perhaps because it is a much weaker way of fixing, who knows. They looked good when first fitted, and sometimes would have been kept nice and clean, sometimes not.

What we see today is just old floors in need of a bit of work. Clean it up, repair any significant damage, and add a low maintenance easy clean coating eg varnish. Mostly they come up fine, if not always.

Laminate, ugh. Much poorer quality than the original boards, and frequently out of character.

But in the end its all just taste. You can have shitboard if its what you like.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not if its made of PINE..if the Victorians had had chipboard, they would have used it..they didn't, so they used pine instead.

God furniture made of wood, rather than a poor excuse for pit props..is another matter.

I am sure in 100 years people will be stripping staining and exposing their chipboard floors "how delicious: Its real CHIPBOARD you know!"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not if it was originally painted, no.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They were not. They were simply the cheapest way to get a floor down. If you had any money you covered them with rugs.

They were not designed for anything other than stopping you ending up in the room below.

They weren't secret nailed because it was expensive.

Far more stable surface if all you want is a cheap way to stop you falling downstairs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stripped pine has always been a "fad". Auction prices for the old stuff suggest that isn't changing. Nice pieces fetch good money, whatever they're made from.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

how you can say that of chip I dont know. Its far weaker, very vulnerable to water, and doesnt look too hot. A real wood floor is much better.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

how you can say that of chip I dont know. Its far weaker, very vulnerable to water, and doesnt look too hot. A real wood floor is much better.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

So clever, he said it twice.

Its no weaker, doesn't suffer from woodworm, won't give you splinters, and is dimensionally FAR more stable than wood. Try leaving a bit of wood damp for a month and see what happens...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

At least it will still be recognisable as a building material.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend a stained varnish (dark oak to be specific) that goes on well with a roller? not daft enough to get on hands and knees with a paintbrush..

Reply to
spacky_packy