Woodburner glass

I have a cracked pane on my generic chinese woodburner. I see that there are eBay suppliers who offer "cut to size", but if it is cheaper to buy a standard size am I likely to have any trouble cutting it down? I'm not an expert but I have cut a bit of window glass over the years.

Presumably it is borosilicate or other low expansion glass?

Reply to
newshound

I've not seen much of the woodburner glass, but the pieces that my local glazing supply people gave me to play with* cut the same as the glass I use for stained and/or fused glass. Perhaps needed a bit more pressure to actually break along the score (the stuff I was given was thicker than standard window-glass) - but if you've cut glass before you should be OK.

*They wanted to see if I could bend the woodburner glass to shape for them - for use in fancy woodburners. The glass didn't cooperate, and I chickened out at 950 centrigade - normal stained / window glass bends quite happily below 800c!
Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

It is very low expansion, but not borosilicate which softens at too low a temperature. There are a few makes, but they are all basically a transparent ceramic, and can operate well over 1000C.

For the ceramic glasses, I suspect you need to go over 2000C. They are used for discharge lamp arc tubes which run red-hot for years whilst maintaining internal pressure.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Arc lamps with a burn time of years? But yes they do get flippin hot and you really don't want to be any where near one when it lets go. Same goes for halogen filament lamps. Getting deafened and showered by visibly glowing red hot lumps of high velocity glass is not to be recomended. The safety glass or lens doesn't always contain the explosion...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think we guessed! :-)

Reply to