Tling layout...opinions

About to start on other wall, is the No 1 image the better layout by having a larger piece in the middle rather than 2 small pieces either end, it does mean that the full tiles ( B & C) will not start from the centre as per other wall in image (2)

Image 1 is the full width of the wall being tiled.

ss

You need the E-A-F arrangement, with B and C (minus D) below.

A tile like D, with two cut edges up against adjacent smooth edges, isn't going to look too good and a lot worse than the two narrow cuts you'll get to the left of B and the right of C, both of which should start under the centre of A.

+1

Tile D will have a cut edge next to a factory edge and will look like a dogs breakfast.

Reply to
David Lang

See the pipes? Behind a radiator or towel rail... what happens further up is another matter. B-)

Is that architrave and door jamb I see on the right? I'd be tempted to see what swapping D and C and centralising A above the B C join looks like. it also looks as if this bit of wall is a few inches proud of a wall that extends to the left out of shot. Carrying the brick bond across rather than following it around the short reveal may well look better. Looking square to the walls at the reveal (r):

| r | |

----+----+----r----+----+----+--- | r |

----+----+----r----+----+----+--- | r | |

----+----+----r----+----+----+--- | r |

----+----+----r----+----+----+---

Is that tile/architrave corner one that will be in the eyeline of anyone using the bathroom(*) or is it hidden/behind them?

(*) That is for normal abultions rather than sat on the loo which tends to turn people through 180 degrees.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

" Is that architrave and door jamb I see on the right?"

That is the door jamb.

"it also looks as if this bit of wall is a few inches > proud of a wall that extends to the left"

No it is level and that is the shower area that will have shower board instead of tiles.

Reply to
ss

It is kind of in the eyeline but that eyeline will also catch the corner of the shower enclosure so may distract from the architrave.

Is this what you were thinking Dave.

ss

I was thinking something like that would be the best way.

I don't (as others have said) like the one with the thin strip in the middle.

I think with tiling, things that stand out as different we spot easily, things that blend in with the general pattern we accept, even if they are theoretically less 'perfect'.

so in this case. a thin strip in the middle stands out as it doesn't match the rest of the room. Doing it like Dave suggest whilst when considered standalone you might think 'oh, that's not quite right' as it isn't centred. Once the room is done it will fit with the tiling pattern in the rest of the room and it won't notice all at

Reply to
Chris French

Yes I am favouring the image above, only change I will make is reverse the thin piece to be at the left side as this will be totally out of the line of sight when sitting on the throne.

Reply to
ss

The toilet bond one looks better than the thin slip - but I don't like either tbh.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

architrave.

Sorry, thread got buried, probably too late now. Yes.

If you are spending a long time on the throne compared to other bathroom activities I'd see a doctor.

With the tiles laid as per the image:

They start on the left as they mean to go on until hitting the door architrave and "disappearing behind it".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Find the centre of the wall. Then decide whether to put a tile joint on the centre, or, the centre of a tile. By doing one or the other, there is no need for any narrow strips. But you need to decide which. Lay the tiles out on the floor next to the wall if you can't work it out.

Reply to
harry

He's using brick bond so, on the layout in that image, and with 'D' discarded, every alternate row will have a narrow cut half the width of 'D' at each end.