Tile cut question

Questions for the tile experts: In image one do I take the off cut around the internal corner and then start a new tile which in turn would be cut and that cut off taken around the next corner, or do I start at some point with a fresh tile.

The other end of the wall will have a similar size off cut but then will take 2 full size tiles so I reckon that would be ok, opinions?

ss

Don't split any tiles around that boxed section - make all the tiles

19cm on one side and all tiles 35cm on the other side. If that wall is not truly vertical/square the 6cm cut is likely to show this up.

I would treat each wall independently rather than bringing round a 6cm cut.

I would recommend that you use a plastic or metal edging strip on that outside vertical edge

Example

available in most DIY sheds/tile outlets.

alan_m

In message , ss writes

I wouldn't take offcuts round corners like that.. It will look a bit messy IMO

I assume you are trying to carry the 'bond' of the tiles round the room? I don't think that really works, and you are better to treat each wall by itself

For photo 1, just use a single tile cut to length instead of an offcut and another bit.

For photo 2 I would arrange the tile run so that you have a larger section of tile at each end

Reply to
Chris French

Yip I can see that working for pic 2. My concern for pic 1 is taking away the `brick` bond effect on the boxed in area, although to be honest it will be a lot easier for me to have single cuts.

Reply to
ss

Use a fresh tile (19cm) on the odd bit of wall (something boxed in?)

Reply to
DJC

Its the pipe stack (waste pipes)

Reply to
ss

I'm totally with Alan and Chris on the first one. On the second, I

*don't* like the small offcut at the corner, don't get hung up on putting uncut edges at "features", it's better to centre your pattern mid-wall and cut to each edge, with a similar sized cut at each edge. But *not* a small sliver, better with more than half a tile at each. Slightly more wasteful but looks better. Especially true on old properties where nothing is square or vertical. Start in the centre with true vertical and horizontal, and tile outwards (subject to the rule about avoiding small pieces). Obviously, you want your "courses" lined up on adjacent walls.
Reply to
newshound

It won't notice. It is more likely to look odd the other way.

Reply to
Chris French

Thanks to all for the input it has helped a great deal as I was confused as to how I should tackle those `short walls` It has been a great help.

thank you

Reply to
ss

Aye, it'll highlight a very small variation as well, 5 mm out would show.

Bathroom - wet - plastic IMHO. And use the uncut ends of the tiles at the edging strip. The cut ends at the inside corners.

For the other corner It depends where it is in relation to the door and/or which way one will spend most time looking. If it's the corner you see the moment you enter the room I'd center the "brick bond" at that corner ie full tiles on one course, the course above the two halves of one tile cut ends into the corner(*). A proviso on this is what happens at the two next corners, how visible those corners are and how narrow the strip is.

The "rule of thumb" of treat each wall seperately and centralise the tiles works well enough but you can get better results if you do some measuring and planning before hand particulary if there are any features such as a window in a given wall. Scale drawings on paper or computer (don't forget groutlines...) can be very useful.

(*) You may have to make two cuts, or offset from exact center, the half the tile to take into account tile thickness/groutline etc. The uncut edge has to be centre of full tile less width of groutline divided by 2.

Full tiles fitted with a grout filled void (v) and small gap for a groutline in the corner.

The cut tile one goes into the corner the other almost butts against it to maintain the groutline up the corner.

Which way round depends on the viewing angle of the corner and where any windows are in relation to the corner. I think you want the shorter cut tile on the same wall as the window, so light from the window doesn't illuminate the "exposed" cut edge of the tile.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice