Wiring light switch

What wires go where from dimmer switch to normal light switch. In the image wire 1 is live when dimmer off, when switched on 1,2 & 3 are live.

ss

Put the cable that goes in to 1 on the dimmer switch into COMMON on the new switch and put the two cables that go into 3 on the dimmer switch into L1 on the new switch.

I am surprised that both 2 and 3 on the dimmer both become live when switched on.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks Adam. To be fair I just used a neon indicator in 2 & 3 and did not check them seperately.

Reply to
ss

I presume you mean wires 2 & 3 rather than terminals 2 & 3 of the dimmer?

(since both wires appear to be in one terminal, you would expect them to both go live together)

But yup, like Adam said; the permanent live into the common, and the other two into either L1 or L2 (it does not matter which - but the switch will work "upside down" for one of them).

Reply to
John Rumm

That does make a difference!

Thanks

Reply to
ARW

"ARW" wrote in news:nbq2fa$1vg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Is it feeding 2 light fittings? Many switches have the live looped in at the switch and that will mean 2 wires into the Common - one live, and one feeding the next switch.

However, if you have 2 fittings then you are correct.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"ARW" wrote in news:nbq2fa$1vg$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Is it feeding 2 light fittings? Many switches have the live looped in at the switch and that will mean 2 wires into the Common - one live, and one feeding the next switch.

However, if you have 2 fittings then you are correct.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A light switch does not know or care which is the permanent live or switched live.

Reply to
ARW

Yes it is wires 2 & 3, they are wired in to the same terminal.

Reply to
ss

It only feeds one light fitting, however at the other side of the partition wall there are light switches for the hallway, so I assume possibly looped in in some way.

The guy that owned the house previously owned a lighting company but from what I have seen so far "he did it his way" so I have to be careful and therefore appreciate any advice I get from this newsgroup. I have found a couple of things which made me cringe and that being as a non electrician!

Reply to
ss

ss wrote in news:xX1Ey.1941862$ snipped-for-privacy@fx34.am:

I think that wires 2 and 3 are the feed (one is permanant live and the other feeds the next switch) Wire one is the life feed to the lamp.

Some electronic dimmers can be sensitive to the need for the live to be on the Common.

Reply to
DerbyBorn