Wood dyes

I need to dye some ply panels black and red, are there any dyes that are more dense than others or is it just a case of applying the dye several times?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

If you don't get an answer here try the appropriate section of this website

robgraham

One old technique was to dye the wood - then finish with several coats of varnish with some dye added. Top coat of varnish without any added dye.

Suggest some experimentation before deciding.

Reply to
Rod

Wow - I didn't know about that. Even more of my life is about to be spent webbing.

Reply to
NoSpam

Glad to help. One thing you will have to do is to experiment as every wood and every batch of a wood type will respond slightly differently to the dye.

Reply to
robgraham

The old Dylon cotton dyes work ok on wood, but it's getting hard to find them these days.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I just spoke to a very helpful guy at "wood finishes direct" and, as a result, ordered some solvent-based dyes from them.

Reply to
NoSpam