wood burning stove

We're about to put in a wood burning stove. We have a modern house with a crap chimney so it'll need to be lined. Will we need some kind of airbrick anywhere and where would be best to put it if we do?

We also need cavity wall insulation doing at some point as we found out it hasn't got any when we had the extension built despite it being on the original house builders info (from 20 years ago).

Any advice folks?

Thanks

Reply to
John Kelly

The message from John Kelly contains these words:

Are you in a smokeless zone?

Reply to
Guy King

You'll need to check this with building regs but I think you only need a dedicated air supply if thermal output exceeds 5kW. It will be worth downloading part J for the details of distances from other objects and flue requirements.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

You will need some form of ventilation. The nearer to the fire it is the less draughts there well be. If you have a ventilated underfloor space consider a grille in the hearth going onto it. This is mandatory from building control point of view. Its size can be ascertained by looking into the relevant building regulations.

That is a statement, not a question...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pretty hard to have a stove that WON'T do 5Kw.

I'd day our open fires peak at about 50Kw or more, and our woodburner about 10-20KW.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I read the OP's question as does the *chimney* require ventilation for drying purposes not the room for combustion purposes. The chimney will be sealed with plates top and bottom but there will be a source of heat that may be enough to force dry it.

Reply to
visionset

I've never heard of ventilating an active chimney.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think the little Jotul 602 that heats this house if

Reply to
AJH

Nor me other than as a side effect of a flue draught balancing device.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Oh, it is. We have a couple of 9" square gratings in it, going to 4" pipes to the underfloor cavity. However the two fires in question are seldom both lit and the room is open plan ish with a central chimney and the fires are back to back, and the rooms are not sealed from her rooms..

I guess the direct ventilation is about 15,000 mm^2

So enough for about 8KW 'by the rules'

or 11KW if one fire only is lit.

In practice they work well and draughts are confined just to the area around the fire base. And when I say 'peak' I men 'peak. I.e. thats what happens when you get a lot of wood just dry enough and it all goes up fairly fast. In practice its usually around 3-5KW.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tanks - I'm hoping the peopel installing it will be able to give us some ideas on where to put it but if I'm prepared before hand then at least I can ask the right questions

Damn - you're right - foiled again :-) Actually I've forgotten what I was going to say now. I've been reading another thread on CWI and I think it's answered all my questions anyway.

Reply to
John Kelly