Wood burning stove

I an thinking of replacing my old wood stove (a small free standing Sierra) with a larger, more modern one, and move the Sierra to the basement. After search the local merchants, there is one near by that carries:

- Mission

- Olympic

- Rainier.

With specification (respectively)

Emission 2.9, 2.6, 2.0 grams/hr Efficiency 70.3%, 70%, 71.1% Heating capacity 700-1500, 1500-2500, 800-1800 sqft Heat output 71000, 74300, 71800 BTU/hr fuel capacity 1.9, 3.1, 1.8 cubic ft Max burn time 9, 12, 9 hr

I am not sure what the emission numbers mean, CO2 emission? Olympic seems to be the largest model (capacity and heat output). My living area, including the bedroom is only 1200 sqft, so Olympic is overkill.

I am leaning towards Rainier, since it seems to be cleanest (if I understand emission correctly), smaller but more efficient than Mission. Since I am guessing all this, I would like to ask the pro's before get on the phone with the dealer.

Anyone has experience on one of these models? If you were me, what model would you choose? I don't know what their price are, but I am willing to pay more for better quality.

Thanks, pac

Reply to
PacKat

[...]

Boots

Pac,

If it were me, I would compare stoves in the following order:

  1. Clearances to combustibles. The stove quality won't make any difference if the stove won't fit in your available space.
  2. Smallest size to heat the available space. A larger stove may take longer to heat up before it starts heating the space, and will take up more space in the room. It will also be easy to overheat the available space with a larger stove, though the tradeoff is longer burn times. It doesn't make much sense to produce more heat if you have to open a window to keep the house from getting too hot...
  3. Cost. No reason to pay more than you need to. Although, based on my experience, the chimney pipes cost almost as much as the stove itself!
  4. Appearance. We wanted basic black, as it fit our "rustic" home style, and I've heard too many reports of the brass trims falling off. In any case, you'll be looking at the stove every day, so it should fit in with your homes decor.
  5. Emissions. Lower is better, of course, but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the models I have seen, and most have to meet government standards anyway.

We have a small Lopi Patriot woodstove and it suits our needs perfectly. We bought it mostly for the ambiance and for backup heat during power outages. It is only rated to heat 1200 sq/ft max, but it'll heat our 1456 sq/ft home without any problems. And that's with 14' ceilings. Even with our little stove, it's real easy to overheat the living areas (that nice, warm, sleepy heat. :) )

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Other factors come in here also. It is better to burn a smaller stove hot compared to a large stove very cool. You get much less creosote that way making it safer and less cleaning.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski