Wood burning stove and building regulations?

My wife and I would like to have our old open fire removed and then install a woodburning multi-fuel stove with a chimney liner.

After consulting 4 builders we are undecided about the procedure because it appears that we must involve the Planning authorities for the simple act of installing the liner!

We used the Planning people for our extension and it took 4 months before any decision was made!

With winter fast approaching does anyone know for a certainty what exactly is entailed as regards planning and building regulations?

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

How do planning know that there is no liner already in your chimney?

Reply to
Phil L

Heating appliances, especially solid fuel burners, should comply with building regs. However wood stoves are one of those areas were compliance has been subbed out to the trade, so if it's installed by a Hetas registered installer they can self certify so there is no need to submit a building notice.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

I am sure its not a planning issue, but it is subject to Building control! Different department!

Ring up the BCO and ask him/her

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

some practical advice here...

's not a Planning issue but it may be a building control issue. Just submit a building notice and get on with it in accordance with the product installation procedure.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

We had a flue liner fitted last year for a gas fire. The fitter notified planning 'after' the event & we received a certificate a month later.

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Unless you have a listed building it is nothing to do with the planners. It comes under building control and you either need building regulations approval or in certain circumstances an approved installer can self certify. Give building control a call and ask them.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Submit a building notice, or get a registered HETAS installer to fit it.

I have just finished a DIY installlation of the wood burner. I opted for a DIY install with a building notice, simply because all the installers who gave me quotes were asking stupid prices, and had waiting times of 3 or more months. It took me a weekend to install the liner and the stove, and the job was straightforward. Just make sure that you follow Part J of the Building Regulations, and can prove this (a marked up copy of the regs, with supporting photos is useful) and the inspector will be happy enough - mine was anyway!

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

How much did the bco charge for the inspection and certificate?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

The charges are based upon the cost of quotes for the work. Most quotes I had for the chimney lining and stove installation were about =A32000, which meant a BCO cost of about =A3170. I did the stove as part of a bigger job though (heat-bank, solar panel, etc.), so I paid ~=A3250 to get =A310000 of work signed off in one go .

dan.

Reply to
dwtowner

Thanks and I expected that sort of figure. It really does go to show how these building regs and trade bodies' members ability to self certify are the new closed shop.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Many thanks to everyone, we really appreciate your input into a situation that looked extremely expensive.

Now we have only one other problem, the HETAS engineer who is closest to us has not got a good record according to others who have employed him and the next nearest is busy for the next two months!

We will overcome one way or the other.

Thankyou again, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg