Cracking plaster behind wood burning stove

Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

sandy masonry paint, repeat til cured?

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

petercharlesfagg wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 18:26

I purposely did not plaster my cavity. I used a playsand (silver sand), lime and white cement (SnowCrete) render in the usual render proportions.

You could hack off the plaster, and apply a render like this, using a SnowCrete slurry as a binding agent to the existing render.

But you should wait a month until I have my stove in place and I can report that it actually works (or not!).

Reply to
Tim W

Have you got enough room between the stove and the walls?

Reply to
mogga

The potential for innuendo in this ng continues to astound...

Reply to
Jules

Jules wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 22:31

I can be more direct if you prefer.

At my last place of employment, I was known for my colourful displays of linguist fortitude when something I was writing didn't work up against a deadline :->

Reply to
Tim W

Sheet of masterboard or multiboard and heat resistant paint.

Or render and paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Friends, thankyou for the suggestions.

A slurry of sopmething or other to fill the voids sounds as if it is the bnest option.

I was interested in the thought about clearances, the stove was fitted by a qualified installer who also lined the chimney as approved by the Planning Office. No comment was made as to the stove being too close to the back wall but it is a possibility!

Thanks again, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg